The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Breeds (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-breeds/)
-   -   Steeple Chase (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-breeds/steeple-chase-3587/)

Green Jasper 09-30-2007 07:03 AM

Steeple Chase

I'm 13 and planning on become a Steeple Chase jockey. Or riding in the Durban July at least once. What horse would be best for Steeple Chase.?
Green Jasper

Sara 09-30-2007 01:16 PM

thoroughbred

jazzyrider 10-08-2007 05:35 AM

arent all steeple chase horses traditionally thoroughbred?? they are here anyways

Sara 10-08-2007 09:09 AM

yep

jazzyrider 10-08-2007 09:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sara
yep

thats what i thought.

green jasper - i dont want to sound harsh at all but maybe doing a little research on what you want to do wouldnt go astray. it seems to me that if you didnt know that thoroughbreds are steeple chase horses then it seems as though you havent thought it through properly. i dont mean any offence but steeple chase is basically horse racing with fences. racing horses are thoroughbreds. this should be something you would know if you have looked into being a jockey. IMO that should be something you already know.

i mean no offence, but you really need to know what you are getting yourself into BEFORE you decide you want to do it. i know you are only young but i am assuming that if you want to be a jockey, that you would have had some exposure to such horses. in horse racing, they are all thoroughbreds.

good lcuk though and i hope you get where you want to get with horses :)

accphotography 10-08-2007 12:45 PM

In his/her defense, there are several other breeds that race in America, they are NOT all Thoroughbreds. Not necessarily steeplechase, but there is not alot of information to be found on American steeplechasing unless you know people in the industry. He/she may be looking to purchase a horse to begin learning some basics on and may simply want ot know what horse would suit that purpose best. For all we know he/she may already be an experienced jumper looking to go in a new direction. I know a few young men and women that had never been on a horse in their lives, but as soon as they turned 18 they went to the North American racing Academy to learn to be jockeys because they have the bodies for it and it was something that interested them. But I am here to tell you many of them knew NOTHING about horse racing. And now, several of them are on their way to being TOP jockeys. All it takes to start the road to success is an interest. I applaud someone of this age taking a step to learn about an interest and possibly pursue a long-term goal. Most teenagers don't have enough initiative these days. It's nice to see some.

ACC

jazzyrider 10-08-2007 04:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by accphotography
In his/her defense, there are several other breeds that race in America, they are NOT all Thoroughbreds. Not necessarily steeplechase, but there is not alot of information to be found on American steeplechasing unless you know people in the industry. He/she may be looking to purchase a horse to begin learning some basics on and may simply want ot know what horse would suit that purpose best. For all we know he/she may already be an experienced jumper looking to go in a new direction. I know a
few young men and women that had never been on a horse in their lives, but as soon as they turned 18 they went to the North American racing Academy to learn to be jockeys because they have the bodies for it and it was something that interested them. But I am here to tell you many of them knew NOTHING about horse racing. And now, several of them are on their way to being TOP jockeys. All it takes to start the road to success is an interest. I applaud someone of this age taking a step to learn about an interest and possibly pursue a long-term goal. Most teenagers don't have enough initiative these days. It's nice to see some.

ACC

im not saying it is bad and i never discouraged. im a huge advocate of research and making informed decisions and gave my thoughts. i did also say good luck to him/her and that i hope they get where they want and unless said otherwise, i never assume anything and treat the situation as if they did know nothing.

i dont think it pleads a strong case if you know people who started training as jockeys and knew nothing. knowledge, learning, research...it all makes us better at what we do or want to do. if someone decides they want to do something as a career, one would think they would know the basics BEFORE they decide that is what they want to do. nothing will change my view on this as knowledge is power and anyone who takes the time to do the research can make an informed decision right from the beginning.

i also dont believe that a person should have nothing to do with horses and then go to a level as high as racing. previous experience provides the groundwork for such things. if the OP is experienced with horses that does put a different spin on it however doesnt take away from the fact that knowing what kind of horse a race horse is, should be very basic knowledge. ive been dealing with horses for 26 years and there is still a world of things out there to learn. some things cant be taught in a short time. they are learnt by experience and dealing with the situations first hand.

anyway, that is MY opinion. it comes down to knowing what you are in for before you actually make a final decision on something.

to the original poster, i really do hope you get to do what you want. if you are already involved with horses you do have some grounding i guess. if you arent, might i suggest you try getting a job helping out with race horses. this will give you some experience handling them and eventually you can increase your skills in this kind of environment. have fun!!

Sara 10-08-2007 04:46 PM

"All steeplechasers are Thoroughbreds whose lineage must be proven with official Jockey Club registration papers. Horses can begin steeplechase careers at age 3."

That's from the NSA's website. I assume from that statement that steeplechase at its highest levels is a thoroughbred sport. I'm sure many other breeds compete, but not at that level, at least not in this country.

jazzyrider 10-08-2007 08:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sara
"All steeplechasers are Thoroughbreds whose lineage must be proven with official Jockey Club registration papers. Horses can begin steeplechase careers at age 3."

That's from the NSA's website. I assume from that statement that steeplechase at its highest levels is a thoroughbred sport. I'm sure many other breeds compete, but not at that level, at least not in this country.

although that wasnt for my benefit its cleared something up for me to. i was a little confused as to how other breeds could race at that level legally.

latte62lover 10-08-2007 08:44 PM

to jazzyrider

im just saying that as she/he is only 13 she is probably doing some research on the topic and since this is a great source of information why not use this as a reference. you seem very quick to come to conclusions about how she should know everything about what she/he is trying to become. i would love to be an author but i don't know everything there is to know about writing. maybe you should try to think things through before you say something that could possibly offend someone.