The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Health (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/)
-   -   Need help making a shopping list... (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/need-help-making-shopping-list-35934/)

allie84 09-13-2009 09:48 PM

Need help making a shopping list...

So.. against better judgment I have bought a horse..While I have owned a few horses in the past I have never really jumped "all in" with them...but now i have too...

I bought an Arabian mare for $75. She is at deaths doorstep and is the worst case of a starved animal i have ever seen. My trainer is hopeful that we can bring her back up to where she needs to be. She is 23 years old and her poor tail is one solid bur. There is not a strand free to swat away the pesky flies and they have eaten her legs to rawness. So that is what I am dealing with and now I am needing help putting together a list of things (with brand names if you know them) that I can get to start her on her way....And she will have both a vet check and a farrier within the next two weeks...the only things i have come up with are

vitmamins- have no idea what kind i should get
a salve to put on her legs to heal them
a fly spray
dewormer

and thats all i got...but what brands should i get and is there a website you can buy them off of if i cant find them locally? Thank you..

dee 09-14-2009 12:06 PM

We use Ivermectin (or Ivomec) on our horses. As for a fly spray, it's a matter of personal choice. I like Pyrhana, but my daughter won't use it on her horse because she claims it made her hair fall out in spots. I haven't had a problem. There are a number of salves on the market for any number of different issues. Check with your local feed store for help choosing the appropriate one. You need to remember that the horse will likely lick the ointment wherever she can reach it, so toxicity could become an issue. Establish a good relationship with your local feed store. If they are very knowledgeable about horses, they coudl be invaluable.

We use Red Cell vitamins. I'm not really pleased with them, but they are what my daughter wanted. I'm going to be checking into vitamins at the feedstore when I go next time. I want to find a good hoof supplement.

I got into the horse business again pretty much the same way you did. Things have changed a LOT since I had horses 20 years ago - I feel like a newbie all over again!

allie84 09-15-2009 02:42 PM

Thank you so much for a starting place. I have wrote everything down so I have at least an idea of where to start and Clare, the owner of the barn where she is boarding, has agreed to go shopping with me to make sure i get what she needs. I finally got her delivered to the barn last night and put some pictures of her up in the pictures section if you want to see my new 23 year old baby.

G and K's Mom 09-15-2009 05:08 PM

That's nice of the BO to go with you.

Just a word of caution, start slow with adding new things and keep her meals small but frequent.

Off to go look at your pictures......................

allie84 09-15-2009 05:51 PM

She is only on hay for right now...her feedings are done by the BO and she discussed her feeding program with me...hay for a few days...then adding small amounts of pellets with yougurt to rebuild her stomach bacteria..since my horse is older she is going to soak the pellets and make them nice and mushy...I have also already found a joint/vitamin supplement on horse.com that sounds like it would be good for her...ordering it tomorrow...her poor old joints creak when she moves right now...it breaks my heart...i wish i could just wave a magic wand and make her all better....Clare, the barn owner, is wonderful...she helped me get the burrs started and gave me a couple breaks when i started getting frustrated....lol

luvs2ride1979 09-16-2009 01:50 AM

Don't deworm her until the vet looks at her, then buy whatever the vet recommends.

For feed, right now I would be giving her small meals of grass hay 4-6 times a day. Add to that some alfalfa, either hay or pellets. Just 1 lb per feeding (NOT MUCH!). Once she's doing well for 3-4 days, start increasing the amount you're feeding, slowly over two weeks. You want her to work up to free choice grass hay and 6-8 lbs of alfalfa pellets or hay broken up into 2-4 meals.

Alfalfa is EXCELLENT at putting on weight without risking colic or founder.

Please do not feed yogurt. The equine digestive tract is not set up to digest dairy products, or any animal protein. Once a day, give her a small meal of hay pellets, some vitamins, and a probiotic (like fastrack or source focus SR). For vitamins, I recommend NutriPlus++ (the 1oz serving) or even better, Platinum Performance. PP has probiotics, joint goodies, and everything else she'll need. Start her on a half dose for a week, then give her the full recommended dosage.

Using alfalfa pellets as her "feed" will help slowly return her metabolism to normal. Horse feed pellets are usually high in starch and sugar, which is not good for weight gain on an emaciated horse. UC Davis did a study that found Alfalfa to be the best and safest way to put weight on a horse. Your BO can add some water to the pellets, just enough to coat them, and let them set for about 5 minutes. The alfalfa pellets will start to break up pretty quickly and turn "fluffy".

Be sure the vet checks her teeth and pulls blood, to check for any illness that could be causing her weight issue.

Don't forget to take pictures! They will help you document her progress. Take photos and weight tape measurements once a week, on the same day at the same time of day, to make sure you get comparable results.

Good luck!!