The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Tack Reviews (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-reviews/)
-   -   Buying a Billy Cook (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-reviews/buying-billy-cook-359721/)

hmb2013 02-06-2014 08:20 PM

Buying a Billy Cook

1 Attachment(s)
Hi all,

I am currently barrel saddle shopping! I came across this used Billy Cook saddle for $750- although it is well above my price range I really like the saddle and am willing to pay for the quality of a Billy Cook. I believe this saddle is a TX made but am unsure for certain. Do you think this is a good price for this saddle? Its in good condition besides stains on the rough out.

tinyliny 02-06-2014 08:21 PM

is it normal to have inskirt rigging on barrel saddles? and do you not use the flank cinch?

what does that saddle cost new?

hmb2013 02-06-2014 08:34 PM

I don't think it's normal to have the in skirt, but I don't see how it could affect anything. I've never used a back cinch before but I plan to with this saddle ( my old barrel saddle was a round skirt and didn't have one). I can't find this actually saddle but similar ones retail for $1,000+

CLaPorte432 02-06-2014 08:52 PM

893 Attachment(s)
If it is from Texas, I would not pay more then $450/$500 (Depending on how bad I want it)

The BC's from TX, are still a *good* saddle. But they are not made *great* New ones from TX retail about $750-$900 new. And $900 IMO is a stretch for them...So buying a USED one for that much IMO isn't worth it.

The ones from OK, retail new for $900 to $1500, much higher quality and last a lifetime. We have 3 BC's (all OK) and LOVE them. One is going on 13 years old and is in just as good of condition as the one you have pictured. (Seat and fenders are more "rubbed" from wear but the quality is just...top notch)

I'm actually saddle shopping again and have been looking at Treeless, but I'm actually really scared to wander away from a OK made BC. THAT'S how much I love mine...

hmb2013 02-06-2014 09:02 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by CLaPorte432 (Post 4705729)
If it is from Texas, I would not pay more then $450/$500 (Depending on how bad I want it)

The BC's from TX, are still a *good* saddle. But they are not made *great* New ones from TX retail about $750-$900 new. And $900 IMO is a stretch for them...So buying a USED one for that much IMO isn't worth it.

The ones from OK, retail new for $900 to $1500, much higher quality and last a lifetime. We have 3 BC's (all OK) and LOVE them. One is going on 13 years old and is in just as good of condition as the one you have pictured. (Seat and fenders are more "rubbed" from wear but the quality is just...top notch)

I'm actually saddle shopping again and have been looking at Treeless, but I'm actually really scared to wander away from a OK made BC. THAT'S how much I love mine...

Thanks a lot! I found another BC that I wouldn't have to pay shipping for, that is made in OK. The saddle itself is not in the greatest condition (torn seat, stains and a partial tear through the stirrup leather- will need replaced eventually) but they want $300. I don't much care for the appearance of the saddle, just function. Is this a deal? I could probably talk down to $250

tinyliny 02-06-2014 09:21 PM

guess you'd have to know how much it would cost to put a new stirrup leather on.

SouthernTrails 02-06-2014 09:26 PM

Most places only sell a Pair of Fender Assemblies for about 150.00 to 175.00

Considering having to spend that mush and the torn Seat, I do not think even a BC form OK is worth 200.00 in such a condition.

The BC from TX is maybe worth 450.00 because it is much better shape.

hmb2013 02-06-2014 09:43 PM

I'm thinking I wouldn't have to pay more than $150 for a new stirrup leather. I live near Amish Country and they always have reasonable prices for leather repairs.

SouthernTrails 02-07-2014 07:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hmb2013 (Post 4706065)
I'm thinking I wouldn't have to pay more than $150 for a new stirrup leather. I live near Amish Country and they always have reasonable prices for leather repairs.

If you have a good leather person, they can remove the leathers and install a new one on the fender, maybe 50.00 or so.....

Saddlebag 02-07-2014 12:12 PM

I repair saddles. The top one is way over priced and the bottom one isn't worth considering. There are other good brands beside BC, especially if you find an older way. They surpass the new ones for quality. I have a Simco made in the early 60's and we just don't see that quality in a factory saddle any more.