The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Health (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/)
-   -   Caring for an old suspensory injury? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/caring-old-suspensory-injury-36011/)

huntseatgirl 09-14-2009 07:56 PM

Caring for an old suspensory injury?

Hi all.
A few years ago (before I got him) my 10 year old KWPN severely blew his left front suspensory. He has been ridden and jumped and been completely sound since then, although we haven't tried him nearly as high as he was jumping before his injury - and don't plan to!
That being said, obviously I want to take as much care of his leg as I can. These are the precautions I'm already taking to keep him sound:
1) Flatwork / conditioning four days a week, jumping only one day a week.
2) I ice, poultice, and standing wrap the left front after each jumping session.
3) I never exercise him without some kind of leg protection (usually polo wraps or eskadron open-front boots).
4) His feet are kept excellently well-maintained, healthy and clean :).

I am thinking of investing in some Pro Choice Elite Sports Medicine Boots, as I've heard they can offer very good support to the suspensory apparatus. Can anyone vouch for that fact? Also, if you are familiar with that brand and model, can you tell me if the sizing runs big/small/etc? He is 17.1hh but has very short cannon bones, would XL be the right size?
Finally, if anyone has any tips or hints on caring for this kind of old injury, PLEASE do share!

And a picture of the beautiful boy, because I can't resist :D
http://i30.tinypic.com/2dtzknc.jpg

AlmagroN 09-15-2009 10:14 PM

i have a mare who has an old tear in a suspensory. if he gets sore on it at all its better to go with heat insead of cold. things like some ball solution mixed with dmso is good, even occational painting with ceadar oil to blow it up helps, if you use ceadar oil scrub it in 2 or 3 days in a row, then sweat it back down for 2 days with something like furizone or even just alcohol sweat if you dont have anything else. using heat on it helps increase the blood flow and heal the injury rather than just cooling it out and keeping it tight. we always use the ball solution/dmso paint on anything with a suspensory issue or anything.

stazify 10-16-2009 10:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AlmagroN (Post 404316)
i have a mare who has an old tear in a suspensory. if he gets sore on it at all its better to go with heat insead of cold. things like some ball solution mixed with dmso is good, even occational painting with ceadar oil to blow it up helps, if you use ceadar oil scrub it in 2 or 3 days in a row, then sweat it back down for 2 days with something like furizone or even just alcohol sweat if you dont have anything else. using heat on it helps increase the blood flow and heal the injury rather than just cooling it out and keeping it tight. we always use the ball solution/dmso paint on anything with a suspensory issue or anything.

Agreed. Cold hosing/wraps are only useful when the injury is new. After a certain amount of time when the injury is healed you use heat. (I learned this in an equine massage therapy class)