The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Grooming (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-grooming/)
-   -   Need help with a tail bag (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-grooming/need-help-tail-bag-3604/)

appylover31803 09-30-2007 10:58 PM

Need help with a tail bag

I read online that to get a fuller, thicker tail, it should be in a tail bag, or one with three seperate tubs that you can braid. Well I got the one that you have to braid the three seperate ones, but i can't seem to make it stay it. I tie it below her tailbone, but everytime she gets turned out, it always winds up in the mud. I'm guessing Vega has exceptional aim with her tail to always get it in a tiny puddle of mud. haha Does anyone have any tips or advice to get her tail bag to stay in place?

AKPaintLover 10-02-2007 04:06 PM

I always have the same problem with the three section tail bag coming off. I think the key to keeping those on is really securing the braided bag at the bottom. I have seen some with the bottom knotted. Or, maybe try using a human hair tie at the bottom and putting it on really tight. Be careful to remove the tail bag and groom the tail often if you use it. One summer, when things were really busy, I left one on for a couple of weeks and when I took it off, the braid sections were matted and knotted!!

The way that I usually keep my horse's tail to help it get longer (it doesn't need help getting thicker), is in a co-ban or vet wrap bandage. What you do, is brush the tail out really well and then braid it in a regular braid. Start below the tail bone with the braid. rubber band the braid to secure it. You then pull the bottom of the braid through where you started the braid 1-3 times depending on the length of the tail. Doing this will create a 6-10 inch wrappable bundle. You then take a roll of Co-ban/Vet-wrap, etc. and wrap the bundle thoroughly. You start the wrap by securing it - pull some of the wrap through two sections at the top of your braid (probably where you pulled the bottom of the braid through). You then wrap around the braid bundle and the start of your wrap (this secures the wrap in place), until all of the bundle is well covered and protected.

I remove this wrap every couple of weeks and groom the tail, and then immediately wrap it again (removing for shows and other events). For best results, actually wash and condition the tail in between wraps. I don't do this in the winter, but I know people who have done it in the winter and just used a blow dryer to get the hair dry in order to re-wrap.

I will try to post a picture of the wrap when I get home tonight.

AKPaintLover 10-02-2007 04:09 PM

Also, the photo in my avatar shows the thickness and length of my horse's tail...Yes it has gotten quite short. I did not keep it wrapped this summer, and then I started doing reining training (without getting his tail out of the way), which involved a lot of backing. Long story short, he backed over his tail that used to drag on the ground so much that is is now half way up his cannons :(

I have just started keeping it wrapped again.

appylover31803 10-02-2007 07:08 PM

Oh ok. I tried something new with her tail. I put a small braid and then seperated the rest and put it in the tail bag. I tied it through the top braid and secured it tight. It worked as it did not full out in her paddock, but it didn't really stay tight and it was dragging pretty bad. I did the same thing today and I'll see how it works out tomorrow.

I have read about vet wrapping a tail, but i dont think she would like the lack of her tail. Not to mention the flies are still around at my barn. Maybe I'll do that in the winter when the lovely flies are all gone.

AKPaintLover 10-02-2007 07:30 PM

To add a tail you simply tie some strands of bailing twine to the wrap. I have done it in the past, but my horse is so used to having the wrap, and we don't have horrible bug issues.

The wrap is certainly less attractive than the tail bag, but works much better to keep the tail hairs clean and protected.

appylover31803 10-02-2007 10:08 PM

Oh ok. I'll look into that, but i think i'm going to stick with the tail bag.

AKPaintLover 10-03-2007 02:19 AM

http://www.horseforum.com/userpix/1299_000_0405_2_1.jpg
Here is a picture of the tail wrap. (without baling twine tassles to act as a fake tail) :)

http://www.horseforum.com/userpix/1299_DSC05007_2_1.jpghttp://www.horseforum.com/userpix/1299_DSC02013_1.jpg
http://www.horseforum.com/userpix/1299_DSC02011_1.jpg

Here are some pictures of my horse's tails who have been wrapped during the winter months.

Good luck with the tail bag - let me know if you figure out a good way to do it. I like the lower mainainance of the wrap better for winter months, but I would almost prefer using a tail bag in the summer if it was effective (I always go out and find the bag on the ground in my horse's pen whenever I use it before a show). I am also curious to find out if you see improvements in thickness and length using the bag. Keep us posted!

appylover31803 10-03-2007 04:05 PM

oh ok, i got what you mean. I thought it was going to be up, like what they do when a mare is going to foal. That's not bad at all.

appylover31803 10-03-2007 08:11 PM

Well her tail bag stayed on. YAY. Ok so what i did was braid a little bit of her tail around her tail bone, secured that with a braid band. When I attached the tail bag, i put the strings through the braided part several times, and if the strings got a little loose or something, the band would stop it. Then i continued on and put the different sections into the bag. I also secured the bottom with a rubber band. I was very surprised it worked, cause if it was out, i was going to stop using the tail bag and just let it go naturlly.

jazzyrider 10-08-2007 07:25 AM

sorry for hijacking the thread but its of interest to me. my mare his quite a short and kinda thin tail. what is the purpose of braiding and wrapping it?? does it really help it grow?? does it have to be so involved or can i braid it and secure it my own ways to get the same result?? is there a fine art to this??