The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Natural Horsemanship (http://www.horseforum.com/natural-horsemanship/)
-   -   Thoughts on this? Linda Parelli and the blind horse. (http://www.horseforum.com/natural-horsemanship/thoughts-linda-parelli-blind-horse-360425/)

IndiesaurusRex 02-08-2014 09:16 AM

Thoughts on this? Linda Parelli and the blind horse.

Apologies if this has been hashed out on here before. This is in no way a bashing thread - the Parelli's have certainly marketed some good ideas.

I'm just trying to understand Linda's reasoning for acting the way she does here - I can't see how what she is doing can be beneficial to this horse whatsoever. The horse evidently has no idea what is going on and what he is being asked, and yet she just keeps upping the ante rather than adapting her methods.

She also seems to have no respect for the lack of sight in one eye - at 4:15, when she starts yanking on the lead towards her, then slapping him on the face (which is downright confusing, and a conflicting command) she is asking him to move to his blind side, which is obviously something that is pretty scary to a blind horse.

Anyone got any insight to why she is doing this?

(Linda takes over at about 2 minutes in).

Inga 02-08-2014 09:27 AM

Let's just say that I have ZERO respect for her. That is not how that horse should have been treated.

bsms 02-08-2014 12:02 PM

It has become a famous video. This is a picture Parelli uses to attract folks:

http://imageshack.com/a/img802/7670/3q7u.jpg

Not a fan.

amberly 02-08-2014 12:07 PM

By wiggling the rope she is telling the horse to back.
I can get my horses to do that - but all I have to do is move my wrist because hrough practice and teaching of the correct way to do this it is actually a very helpful technique.

I believe she is also trying to teach the horse respect.

When she yanks on his leadrope hard, she is trying to get his head facing her. The horse should be straight bakcing, not sidewways.

it is a good technique, but the way Linda does it is much too harsh.
I do their groundwork techniques only, and I do them correctly.

bsms 02-08-2014 12:12 PM

"It is a good technique..."

What makes it superior to saying "Back" and maybe tugging lightly back on the lead rope or putting a hand against the horse's chest?

The trainer I hired to work with Mia did a great job except she wanted Mia to back when she shook the lead rope. All it accomplished was an angry, confused horse...but the local trainer then responded by saying, "Well, if she backs on a voice command already...".

Most of the folks I know use the shaking rope cue, but I'll be darned if anyone has ever been able to tell me WHY they like it. I'm not picking a fight. I genuinely have never had anyone who could tell me WHY it is a good cue for the horse to know.

amberly 02-08-2014 12:24 PM

backing with the leadline and a horse, you keep your feet still and make the horse move away from you. It shows that the horse respects you and lsitens to you.
This can help get the horses attention on you and do what you ask.
Also if the horse is crowding you and you are talking to someone, you don't have to move your feet to make the horse stop crowding you, but instead wiggle the leadrope so the horse moves away and you can still talk to the person - just as an example.

bsms 02-08-2014 12:31 PM

Interesting. I don't think I'll adopt the technique - I don't think it has anything to do with respect - but I thank you for the explanation. It is the first one I've ever gotten! :-P

Zexious 02-08-2014 01:12 PM

If that technique works for your horse, then I don't see a reason not to use it.

But... in this video, the horse clearly doesn't understand what's being asked of him, and Linda doesn't seem to be doing anything to address that part of the situation. I'm really not a fan of the Parellis.

Gator responds to pressure and the word "back" just fine. I don't think I'll go wiggling any ropes anytime soon xD

tinyliny 02-08-2014 03:31 PM

it is a terrible example of throwing a horse into a Mulligan's Stew of loud, sloppy requests with pressure, no meaningful releases and a very confused and ultimately dulled out horse. That horse will soon have NO idea what any feel on that leadline means, and will likely have about the same amount of feel to the reins or bit.

It's not that 'wiggling' the rope to ask for a back is or is not a good method. it's that, one has to remember to ask small, then get bigger, and look for the smallest try you can reward, and build on THAT. then you build in "feel" to the leadline. Smacking it up against the jaw (and this with a heavy metal chip on it, too) is your "demand", and if you use it over and over, without looking for a correct response, even if it's tiny, to reward and go back to a whisper, you make your horse learn to tolerate incessant shouting. then, you have an angry and dull horse.

amberly 02-08-2014 03:57 PM

Yea, I frogot to mention that too.
When the horse steps back, you should give release. Unless he does something he know he souldn't have done, then you can get big and not stop for a few steps.

I always make sure I don't have hardware if I end up having to get to that stage. If there is hardware and I do have to get to the biggest stage, then I will only do it once or twice, then back down a stage so he knows he should back and listen, but not as to hurt him at all.