The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Trail Riding (http://www.horseforum.com/trail-riding/)
-   -   Horse trailers with living quarters (http://www.horseforum.com/trail-riding/horse-trailers-living-quarters-360601/)

Kwarren 02-08-2014 06:35 PM

Horse trailers with living quarters

What brand horse trailer and type of living quarters does everyone own. What do you like and dislike about it.

Painted Horse 02-08-2014 06:42 PM

Back in 2006 I bought a nice LQ trailer in hopes that my wife would join me for a few camp out and rides each year. Didn't work. I decided it was too big to drag down all the forest service rides I frequent. I kept tearing off the holding tanks under the trailer. So I sold it and bought roughly the same trailer but with no LQ.

I sleep up on the bunk. I find a tree to do my business, I heat some water in a pot over my coleman stove and dump over my head to get ride of pillow head in the morning. My friend who often comes with me, usually sets a cot up under a tree or if the weather threatens, he sweeps out the horse are and puts the cot in there.

I'm pretty comfortable roughing it as long as I room to leave the camping gear I bring in the trailer and have a draw place to sleep.

Kwarren 02-08-2014 07:01 PM

We started with a two horse with a dressing room. Then we graduated to an Exiss three horse with a seven foot short wall. We got to were we enjoyed the camping and riding so much we traded for a eight wide Lakota and have really enjoyed the trailer

jamesqf 02-09-2014 01:19 AM

I go along with Painted Horse. "Living Quarters" is a tent, and a fairly small one. (Though it's the larger of the two I use for backpaking/bike touring, 'cause the dogs want to come in and curl up next to me.) Trailer is 2-horse with a tack room, which I think is a bit overkill. But since it's my friend's, I don't complain.

JCnGrace 02-09-2014 03:28 PM

We have a '01 Sooner with full living quarters. It has required very little maintenance but then we don't abuse it either. I have no real complaints but if I could wave a magic wand or win the lottery the things I'd change are:

Removable center post at the back door.

Preferably a hydraulic jack but an electric one would do. Hand cranking that thing up gets harder to do every year.

3 horse instead of 4.

More storage but if I had more it would get filled up too and I'd still be complaining about it. LOL Hubby, NOT ME, thinks we should take everything but the kitchen sink along with us.

Larger fridge (ours only has the small under the counter type).

Slide out because even at 8' wide when the 2 of us plus the 88 lb. dog is in there, you cannot move around.

Dinette instead of couch.

Roperchick 02-09-2014 03:41 PM

We have a CM 4 horse slant with just a dressing room. Living quarters= futon mattress or tents and camping gear lol

Love that its easy to pull and park. Hate that I have no heat

I did use my friends w/living quarters once and I got completely spoiled. Only thing bad about it was my F350 could barely pull it. Almost need a bigger truck for it.

Painted Horse 02-09-2014 04:04 PM

My biggest complaint with the two LQs that I've owned was how low the holding tanks were and how easy it was to damage them. If I ever get another LQ, it will be lifted a couple of inches and hopefully the tanks will be tucked up higher.

If you hang out at Rodeo and Fairgrounds and never leave the paved road. then this won't be a problem for you. But if you drive on Forest Service or BLM roads to access trail heads. It will be a big deal.

Ask yourself the question of where you will camp? If it is at primitive camps where there are no hook ups. Then you will need a generator. The next question is how big a generator? To run the A/C in most LQs you will need a little over 2000 watts to start it. The only time I ran my A/C was at home while cleaning or loading the trailer. Microwave also needs a lot of electricity. If you want to run Microwave and A/C at the same time, You will need almost a 4000 watt generator.

Look at the trailer and see how they heat the water. Is it an electric hot water heater or a propane heater. Again that will make a difference in how much electricity you will use. Most fridges are a Two Way or Three Way. The choices being that they can run off Gas, 110volt Electric or 12 Volt. Decide how you want to run the fridge. 110 Volt is only available when you are parked. Gas and 12 volt are available when you are driving. Probably won't use much 12 volt when the truck is turned off as it would run batteries dead.

I really think a 7'6" high ceiling is important if you sleep in the Gooseneck Bunk. Sitting up in the middle of the night because you hear a noise outside and banging your forehead on the ceiling is not fun.

I had a Classic Weekend trailer that was 6'10" wide and a Logan LQ that was 7'3" wide. Wider is better. I suspect I would like an 8' wide if I ever tried a LQ again.

Go Hydraulic on your trailer jack. No comparsion between it and electric.

ahop 02-09-2014 04:28 PM

We have a 8' wide Featherlite stock with a weekender package. Love the bathroom. Other than that our old Exiss with a 3' shortwall that was factory insulated but had no built-ins or bathroom did the job just fine. Agree with the above posters about the tanks. First time my daughter and her husband borrowed the trailer they tore the tanks off just going through a field that had a very slight rise. Sounds easy to fix, but let me tell you it isn't and it is expensive. When you add LQ's you also add a lot of weight. We had a 3/4 ton diesel that sank pretty bad when we dropped the LQ trailer on it. Had to upgrade to a 1 ton duel wheel to pull that sucker. If I could have a do-over I would go back to no LQ's BUT would get it factory insulated - makes a heck of a difference and no condensation problems.

womack29 02-09-2014 08:17 PM

I also have a weekend package Featherlight 3 horse living quarters. I have never torn off a tank. Hope that never happens. I use a 3/4 Duramax to haul it with and have no complaints. I have had it 5 yrs and camp 1 to 2 weekends a month and have never had an issue. I will admit I would love to have a little bumper pull for day trips.

farmpony84 02-09-2014 08:25 PM

I have a keifferbuilt with a makeshift living quarters. We have heating and AC, use an air mattress and a cot, hang a cowboy shower in the back, cook on a grill and mount a TV on the bridle hooks.

We are looking at the Lakota's for our upgrade. Those are so nice and affordable. I'm in love with them.