The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Grooming (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-grooming/)
-   -   Growing out a chopped off mane?? Help! (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-grooming/growing-out-chopped-off-mane-help-36085/)

ShannonSevenfold 09-15-2009 08:36 PM

Growing out a chopped off mane?? Help!

I got a new horse not too long ago and, long story short, he was a rescue. And when he was rescued, they lopped off big random chunks of his mane where it was all matted. He's a Morgan so he has a massively THICK mane. It's so gorgeous, but it's only 2-3 inches long in a couple spots. I want to show him next season.. What can I do to help it grow out? (I'll post some pictures the next time I go out there to see him, which should be tomorrow.)

Help! :lol:

ShannonSevenfold 09-15-2009 08:42 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Managed to find a couple pictures where you can kinda see it. Will upload better ones later..

Okay.. the first one wasn't mean to go in there. haha. The second one you can see it the best. There's a random chunk that just... STICKS. UP. grr

hehe

waterbuggies 09-15-2009 10:11 PM

Your not going to like my answer, but I'm going to give it to ya. Roach him and start over.

roro 09-15-2009 10:18 PM

Cut it so it is even but a couple inches longer than you want it, then pull it to thin it out and to make it look natural.

snoggle 09-15-2009 10:29 PM

Shapley's MTG - I don't normally think a product can make a difference, but I swear it does.

ridesapaintedpony 09-17-2009 03:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by waterbuggies (Post 404314)
Your not going to like my answer, but I'm going to give it to ya. Roach him and start over.

Yep, I was gonna say the same thing.

dashygirl 09-17-2009 03:11 PM

You could roach him like waterbuggies said, but his mane won't be grown out very long by next season for showing. So I'd get some MTG and keep it conditioned with brushings every now and again. (Not too much, you'll do more harm than good that way.) Then around show season cut the long portions of his mane to the length of the previously clipped parts. Then you can continue with the MTG routine to help his mane grow together as a whole.

briget83 09-21-2009 02:27 PM

Yes can roach it yes but it will be year before much grows back. I would use MTG and braid and rebraid it ever few days and add flax seed to his feed. purina amplify has it in it. biton also helps with hair gorwth.