The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Miniature Horses (http://www.horseforum.com/miniature-horses/)
-   -   Miniature stallion, Quarter horse mare - What happens? (http://www.horseforum.com/miniature-horses/miniature-stallion-quarter-horse-mare-what-36108/)

New_image 09-16-2009 09:39 AM

Miniature stallion, Quarter horse mare - What happens?

My friends little 33" black & white stallion got in with her 15.1hh bay AQHA mare over the weekend when on vacation. Theres lots of hills in the mares pasture and where theres a will theres a way.... In the event something happened, what will they have? Has anyone seens a mini x HORSE cross? I've looked it up online long enough to find out its possible but no pictures. Does it just grow up to be a "Quarter pony" or stay to small/have trouble nursing or ?

mountainhorse44 09-16-2009 08:57 PM

you will have a quarter pony.. about it being too small to nurse.. that all depends.. you have to take into account that the mare will be contributing her height as well as the stallion.. I would say.. as an estimate.. between a 33 inch mini.. and 15.1 hand horse.. that the baby will mature to around 13 hands.. but that's just a ball park estimate..

Wallaby 09-16-2009 09:28 PM

There's somebody on here...Arnz, who rides a TB/Mini cross and he's just adorable. He's normal sized (according to her horse profile, 15.3) and super cute. =)

New_image 09-16-2009 09:37 PM

Thanks. I had a feeling it would most likely be a tall pony/Quarter pony or maybe go into horse height depending on which size gene kicked in.
No complications out of the normal anyone knows of?

JustDressageIt 09-16-2009 09:53 PM

Please remember to reinforce your stallion's enclosure so you don't have to worry about this again :)

New_image 09-17-2009 10:10 AM

This isn't "MY" stallion, as I said, but thanks.