The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Gaited Horses (http://www.horseforum.com/gaited-horses/)
-   -   No head bob... (http://www.horseforum.com/gaited-horses/no-head-bob-36201/)

Rissa 09-17-2009 09:08 PM

No head bob...

Is this a rack? Or something else?

CloudsMystique 09-17-2009 09:17 PM

It looks like a rack to me, but I'm not positive. The reason his head isn't bobbing is because he's extremely stiff and tense.

Rissa 09-17-2009 09:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CloudsMystique (Post 405624)
It looks like a rack to me, but I'm not positive. The reason his head isn't bobbing is because he's extremely stiff and tense.

He's always like that. Even when I know him years ago. He's always very tall and upright. Even when we're out on the trails relaxing, or when he's out in the pasture chillin. Always tall and upright.

If you look at racking horses, their heads don't move either. The TWH's head bob. He never does, not even when he walks. Even out in the pasture when he gaits around at free will he holds himself very up right.

Even speed rackers, nothing moves but their tails and legs. It's actually comical looking.

CloudsMystique 09-17-2009 09:32 PM

Huh... I didn't know racking horses didn't bob their heads. I don't know much about them, though. I just assumed he was a TWH.

Zab 09-17-2009 09:34 PM

Lots of gaited horses never bop their heads..only time I heard of it was from TWHs.. tho we pretty much only have icys here :)

It's a few step stepping pace, but what it's mainly..I don't know. Crow does the same actually, I've never figured exactly what it is. :3 I only have icys to compare with tho, and according to them everything that's not a perfect tölt is just a bad tölt, or a pace. Thereäs no stepping pace, running walk, foxtrot or anything in their world, just tölt/rack and bad, unpure tölt..

I think the horse in the vide looks a bit tense tho, the gait and his back especially could benefit from getting him more relaxed and stop tensing the back muscles and stressing the spine :)

Rissa 09-17-2009 09:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CloudsMystique (Post 405643)
Huh... I didn't know racking horses didn't bob their heads. I don't know much about them, though. I just assumed he was a TWH.

Your guess is as good as mine. I dubbed him Eric the Giraffe because of how he carries himself. Though all three owners since I met him years ago he's always been a very tall head held high kind of fella. Even when he was at his worst.

Speed racking is amazing, but it does look kind of silly. I love it though.

Rissa 09-17-2009 09:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zab (Post 405645)
Lots of gaited horses never bop their heads..only time I heard of it was from TWHs.. tho we pretty much only have icys here :)

It's a few step stepping pace, but what it's mainly..I don't know. Crow does the same actually, I've never figured exactly what it is. :3 I only have icys to compare with tho, and according to them everything that's not a perfect tölt is just a bad tölt, or a pace. Thereäs no stepping pace, running walk, foxtrot or anything in their world, just tölt/rack and bad, unpure tölt..

I think the horse in the vide looks a bit tense tho, the gait and his back especially could benefit from getting him more relaxed and stop tensing the back muscles and stressing the spine :)

Those little Iceys. I adore them! I want a huge giant farm of them. They are so sweet.

He is tense I am sure but he is just a tense horse. Always has been. Slowly since I've finally gotten him into my ownership he's relaxing. Very slowly.

In fact when I first got him I couldn't even ride him away from the barn. Now I'm able to just ask him to leave the barn once and he walks on.

His last three owners basically kept him cooped up and hidden away because of his "issues". So cars, and high ways and everything has been new to him. He's doing well.

We'll get there.

Zab 09-17-2009 09:45 PM

Yeah, that sort of thing won't solve itself over night :)
I've worked for a year with Crow and had him to a good, professional trainer and it took a long time before he started relaxing.. now he's mostly pretty good, but still not always. :3 I'd like him to relax more, but we're working on deep, good relaxing stuff too. And he didn't even have any serious problems before, other than not doing much. Not ridden, I think trained in a harness but I'm doubtful of the methods..hm..
Anyway..I know it's not easy..I'm there too..

What I've noticed helps his gait and to get him collect himself, is to ask for halts with my seat, in walk and gait. Make him wait for it and focus on me rather than the open road :P
Tho at the moment I'm working to get his smooth, slower gait back, rather than the bumpy trot-ish gait he started using.. I also work to keep him in gait whn we speed up instead of going in canter, he knew it before but I guess he fell back a bit in the education right now :P

Sunny06 09-19-2009 02:52 PM

Video wouldn't let me see it, but TWH's heads are supposed to bob only if they are truly running-walking. However, they do not bob at a rack.

Hanblechia 09-20-2009 12:44 PM

The real question is the timing. As most of the shots are at an angle and I can't get the vid to play only one frame at a time, it's very difficult to see. BUT, it's not a true rack as far as I can tell. It is either a fast running walk, or a rather low pick-up saddle rack.

The difference isn't head bob or not as that can vary a good deal from one horse to another and tends to fall off with the higher speeds. The difference between the two gaits technically is timing and which feet are touching at what times. IF he's doing a very fast running walk, ONE of his front feet will always be in contact with the ground no matter how fast he's moving. If he's doing the saddle rack, there would be an extremely brief moment when both front feet are off of the ground, or at least both not flat and supporting weight. -Usually- there is also more lift in the front legs than this horse is showing.

That said, the horse in this video doesn't look consistant. At times he's doing an almost 'canterish' rolling hop in the front end, and at other times he's doing a smoother and more consistantly timed step. Do you guys/gals also see that?

I don't claim to be a gaited horse expert. But if you look up the differences between the gaits as described by 'experts', this is the information given between these two as I understand it.

This horse is of course working hollow and I would watch for back tension and soreness if he is prodominately worked gaiting. Some more collected gaits occationally worked inbetween gaiting, or at least tummy lifting exercises to engage and lift the back, can help if you find this to be the case.

I found the latter coupled with deep massage of the tight loin on my gelding to be helpful. It'll take more time to train my youngling for any collection (out of laterial gaits) though simply working on going down hill trails and backing up exercises also help him to engage his back end and bring it under him to loosen and slowly stretch/lift the back. Which in turn should allow him to use the lateral gaits better and longer without back pain. Too much collection work though might make him start favouring the trot, so everything in moderation and adjusted to the individual horse's needs of the moment.

I'm only musing and still trying to learn more myself.