The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   English Riding (http://www.horseforum.com/english-riding/)
-   -   What does an ideal hunter horse look like? (http://www.horseforum.com/english-riding/what-does-ideal-hunter-horse-look-36219/)

roro 09-18-2009 01:35 AM

What does an ideal hunter horse look like?

Well, I was asking a sales clerk about a brown bridle because I am planning on jumping my horse a bit over the winter (with a trainer's help of course), to give him some breaks from dressage every once in a while. I was asking about whether it would be okay for a show ring to ride with a bridle that had a flash strap but no flash ( I am not planning on doing any jumping or hunter shows so far, I was just curious). And she said that "oh you don't have to worry about it, he doesn't look like a good hunter anyway so you won't do any serious shows" so now my offended horsey-parental instinct have kicked in. Nobody says that about my boy without a reasonable explanation! But she had to take a call, and now I look to you for the answer. So first of all, what does the "ideal" hunter horse look like? Pictures are welcome. Here is my horse: well most of him anyways. The children on the playground proved to be very distracting and MUCH more important than looking good for one's conformation shots. http://i399.photobucket.com/albums/p...n/P1020327.jpg what about him is not good for a hunter horse? Again, I am not considering doing any hunter jumper what not I am just curious.

SFMoneyMarket 09-18-2009 01:46 AM

Honestly, he looks pretty ideal to me.
He's got a beautiful shoulder, nice hip, and nice sturdy legs as well as a beautiful neck that ties in in a great spot.

What breed is he and how tall? I think he would make a stellar hunter, even at big competitions.

roro 09-18-2009 01:48 AM

woops I forgot to add* be brutally honest and as detailed as possible, I will not be offended. I would rather get some heart-ripping comments than something sugar coated and vague comments. This is your chance to unleash any rage from the hunter world horses to the dressage world horses.

roro 09-18-2009 01:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SFMoneyMarket (Post 405792)
Honestly, he looks pretty ideal to me.
He's got a beautiful shoulder, nice hip, and nice sturdy legs as well as a beautiful neck that ties in in a great spot.

What breed is he and how tall? I think he would make a stellar hunter, even at big competitions.

Thanks! Well he is a Swedish/Dutch Warmblood gelding but registered as Swedish. He is just 5 years old and 16.3 hands although he is going through some sort of growth spurt right now, hopefully not a height spurt lol

1dog3cats17rodents 09-18-2009 07:18 AM

I agree with SFmoney market, I'd get him for a hunter (if I didn't already have one). Obviously is depends on whether he's got a nice jump, but he looks like a very nice hunter hore. He could do well in at least the A rated shows judging by his confo.

upnover 09-18-2009 05:48 PM

How in the world can she tell he won't be a good hunter without watching him move or jump?! That's pretty ridiculous. I agree, he's cute! I think his pasterns are a little on the short side, which can lead to future unsoundness like ringbone. But movement, quality of jump, and attitude are mainly what the judges are looking for.

ridergirl23 09-18-2009 05:57 PM

i think he looks like a perfect hunter!! :P i dont know much about it but to me his whole all round body shape reminds me of some of the hunters ihave seen at really big compititions. dont listen to anybody else opinion about your horse ( ok maybe the vet and a few other people.....) but certainly not somebody selling you a bridle!!!! i think you show do a hunter compotition and win and go back and see her with your first place ribbon....lol

XxHunterJumperxX 09-18-2009 08:11 PM

I personally see no issue whatsoever.
I think that clerk was just looney, I cannot spot one error for hunter.

Ne0n Zero 09-19-2009 12:30 AM

I honestly think he looks like a great hunter.. I don't see what she was talking about at all.

roro 09-19-2009 01:45 AM

Thank you for the feedback, but can anybody tell me what an ideal hunter horse has? Not in comparison to my horse but just in general?