The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Nutrition (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-nutrition/)
-   -   Cracked Corn (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-nutrition/cracked-corn-362217/)

kimberlyrae1993 02-11-2014 03:51 PM

Cracked Corn

Is it good or bad for horses? The guy I board with feeds his horse cracked corn?
Posted via Mobile Device

quinn 02-11-2014 07:16 PM

I've always been told not to feed horses corn since it's a "hot feed" and not worth much nutritionally.

Depending on what the BO feeds, if there are other grains mixed in with the corn, the quality of the hay fed, and needs of the horse, you may want to talk to the BO about only feeding your horse hay. If the hay isn't that great, or your horse needs extra feed b/c of special needs or activity level you may look at adding a ration balancer or supplement.

Just my two cents! :)

Edit: sorry - just saw you said "his horse" not your horse! All in all, I wouldn't feed corn if it were me!

kimberlyrae1993 02-11-2014 07:31 PM

Posted via Mobile Device
Quote:

Originally Posted by quinn (Post 4743153)
I've always been told not to feed horses corn since it's a "hot feed" and not worth much nutritionally.

Depending on what the BO feeds, if there are other grains mixed in with the corn, the quality of the hay fed, and needs of the horse, you may want to talk to the BO about only feeding your horse hay. If the hay isn't that great, or your horse needs extra feed b/c of special needs or activity level you may look at adding a ration balancer or supplement.

Just my two cents! :)

Edit: sorry - just saw you said "his horse" not your horse! All in all, I wouldn't feed corn if it were me!

My BO is an older man set in his way.. I pay nothing to board there.. but I feed my own feed not his he suggested it but my horse is underweight so I have her on good diet but he also puts a cap of bleach in his water trough.. I think is bizarre..

quinn 02-11-2014 07:40 PM

bleach?! 8-o

I've never heard of that...wonder what his logic is... How does his horse look / act?

Glad to hear you have your horse on a diet different than his! :)

kimberlyrae1993 02-11-2014 07:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by quinn (Post 4743337)
bleach?! 8-o

I've never heard of that...wonder what his logic is... How does his horse look / act?

Glad to hear you have your horse on a diet different than his! :)

His horse is 22 alittle over weight and calm.. I don't get the bleach he says to help keep it clean.. but that's the water my horse has to drink too...
Posted via Mobile Device

elbandita 02-11-2014 07:57 PM

Well water I presume?
Chlorine bleach in water acts as a disinfectant.

Cracked corn Isn't the ideal feed for horses. It contains considerable mass of sugar and starch. A limited quantity of most things are acceptable.

kimberlyrae1993 02-11-2014 09:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by elbandita (Post 4743473)
Well water I presume?
Chlorine bleach in water acts as a disinfectant.

Cracked corn Isn't the ideal feed for horses. It contains considerable mass of sugar and starch. A limited quantity of most things are acceptable.

Yes it is well water is the bleach okay?????

And about 1/4 of what he feeds his horse is cracked corn.. he swear it helps
Posted via Mobile Device

loosie 02-11-2014 11:14 PM

Corn is exceptionally high in starch - modern cereal grains generally are, corn is about the highest. Horses don't digest starch very well and there are health effects from this. Cereal grains generally are also quite hard for the horse to digest well enough in the foregut too(with exception of oats), so if fed, need to be processed, and 'cracked' is not adequate for corn to be digested. Needs to be 'micronised' or such.

kimberlyrae1993 02-12-2014 09:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by loosie (Post 4744985)
Corn is exceptionally high in starch - modern cereal grains generally are, corn is about the highest. Horses don't digest starch very well and there are health effects from this. Cereal grains generally are also quite hard for the horse to digest well enough in the foregut too(with exception of oats), so if fed, need to be processed, and 'cracked' is not adequate for corn to be digested. Needs to be 'micronised' or such.

I didn't think corn was good..
Posted via Mobile Device

Saddlebag 02-12-2014 10:03 AM

In very cold weather we added about 1/2c of coarse ground corn to their pellets. The horses were in good shape, but I don't know if the corn contributed to that. People carry on like oats are toxic. Oats are higher in protein than hay and when horses actually worked for a living they needed the extra protein to carry them between feedings. This was pretty much the origins of the one hour lunch break, to allow the horses to refuel and rest. Oats are cheap. They have a reputation for making a horse hot headed but there's a direct correlation between quantity fed and being locked up in a stall.