The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Tack and Equipment (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/)
-   -   polos vs splint boots (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/polos-vs-splint-boots-36223/)

wordstoasong 09-18-2009 09:35 AM

polos vs splint boots

Murray tends to knock down jumps at 18", so my BO said to have a bell boot and Splint boots combo on him or polos since he is learning to jump.

Which is best for him to wear?

riccil0ve 09-18-2009 12:35 PM

Why the bell boot? That's typically for horses who over-reach and hit the back of their fronts with the front of the hinds. o_O

Since he is actually hitting jumps, I'd say a splint boot. They are more supportive and will make for better padding than a polo. I love my polo wraps, and I don't have a problem doing small jumps in them. My horse tends to over-jump so I never have to worry about her hitting anything, and we don't jump that high.

Saskia 09-18-2009 01:07 PM

I don't really know what you mean by polo and splint boots - but I think thats just because I know them by different names.

A lot of showjumpers use open front boots that protect the back part of the leg but leave the front open so the horse can feel the knock so they learn to pick up their legs. If you just pad up his legs he is just going to keep on knocking - its easier for him to jump lazily, and if you want to compete that is not going to help.

What I would do is try to improve your canter and your jump. If you have a round and energetic canter coming up to the obstacle, then the jump has more potential to be better. Also, I would do a fair few grids, even if they are low - getting your horse used to bounces and picking up its feet.

Unless you have a worry of your horse over reaching I wouldn't bother with bell boots. I always use brushing boots (at least) when doing cross country, but depending on the jumping (where, what I am doing, height, type of jumps) I sometimes wear boots and sometimes don't. I went through a bandage stage.

wordstoasong 09-21-2009 11:25 PM

Thanks ladies!

Any ideas on grids? I'm horrible at distances and such.