The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Training (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/)
-   -   My first time breaking a horse (Outlaw's first ride) (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/my-first-time-breaking-horse-outlaws-36254/)

cwgrlup85 09-18-2009 07:27 PM

My first time breaking a horse (Outlaw's first ride)

2 Attachment(s)
So for the past week I have been repetetively working my 2 1/2 yr old gelding Outlaw. I have had him since he was 5 mths old. He is my first horse that I can officially say "I broke him". It has been so exciting, and makes me want to train more in the future. Here are some pics. This past week I had been working on getting him to flex and getting used to weight in the stirrup. I could have all my weight on him and wave my hands above his head and he does not even flinch at all. So today I took THE BIG STEP and actually got into the saddle and took him for his first "ride". Ya it was only in the roundpen but hey it's a start. He never bucked, reared, or bolted. The only problem I had was getting him to move forward. By the end of the training session he was moving and stopping on cue. I even had my friend get on him for a bit and he did WONDERFUL!! :D

TwisterRush 09-18-2009 07:36 PM

Congrats :D
its a wonderful feeling isnt it ?

hollybee 09-18-2009 07:42 PM

aww congratulations !
he's gorgeous !!

Plains Drifter 09-18-2009 10:06 PM

Very nice!!! Congrats!!! He's gorgeous!

charlene1985 09-18-2009 10:48 PM

I have broke about 7 horses and I love that feeling of the first "ride" even though with us it is in the round pen too and just wait that first actual ride out on a trail or wherever you ride is even better

Saskia 09-18-2009 10:50 PM

Congratulations, its really exciting and he's really cute.

Although, western rider or not I would wear a helmet while breaking a horse

equus717 09-18-2009 11:02 PM

Congrats on the training of your first horse. i have trained all of mine. I am very proud of Cutter because she is out of my stud and mare, and I have raised her since birth and broke her to ride, and now we have gone to our first show where she did not disappoint me at all. There is nothing like training your own horse. Keep us posted on his training. I love the name as well.

dashygirl 09-18-2009 11:28 PM

Awesome job! Keep up the good work, he looks like a nice boy.

My only question is about the bit you have in his mouth, why not a snaffle?

MacabreMikolaj 09-18-2009 11:36 PM

Huge congrats! He looks good!

Though, I'm also concerned about the bit in his mouth. It looks like a tom thumb to me, which contrary to what you may read is not a snaffle nor a "colt breaking bit" unless you take the breaking part literally. I'd strongly advise a basic snaffle, or you're likely to end up with an extremely confused and frustrated youngster.

EveningShadows 09-19-2009 12:27 AM

I love his markings, he's cute!

I agree with above though, MacabreMikolaj summed it up pretty well. :)