The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Talk (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/)
-   -   Opinions on Equine Studies (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/opinions-equine-studies-36260/)

Amba1027 09-18-2009 08:38 PM

Opinions on Equine Studies

I was talking to the woman that owns the barn where I used to ride and I mentioned I wanted to maybe transfer somewhere where I could get a degree in Equine Studies. She basically told me it was a bad idea and not to bother. What do you all think?

M2twisted 09-19-2009 11:47 AM

i have a degree in Equine Science. i learned bunches and had a blast, learned really neat things about other animals as well.

i remember (this was several years ago too) one of my teachers telling me that the equine department did better grade wise than the engineering department, however when graduating, only 16% on equine majors left with jobs...

so i see that as the only downfall

Amba1027 09-19-2009 12:23 PM

Thanks for your input. I think I would have a great time too. I usually hate school but I find everything having to do with horses interesting and I keep wanting to learn more. I think it would be a really good idea for me to do this.

The job thing is kind of what she was talking about but she said no one would care if you had a degree in Equine Studies or not, which I don't think is completely true. I think it depends on what you want to do.

I am currently looking at schools and trying to figure out what needs to be done to transfer but its freaking me out a little lol. I've never lived away from home before so I didn't want to have to go too far but the closest college that offers Equine Studies as a major is 3 hours away. I know that probably doesn't seem like a lot but the farthest away any of us has ever gone is a little over an hour. My brother can still come home any weekend he wants but 3 hours seems like it would be a lilttle much for me to do that. And that's if I get into this place. Plus it's in New Jersey and I'm sorry but I think it's really dumb that you can't make left turns in Jersey. It would drive me nuts. I already get lost pretty easily so not being able to make a left turn would just make things even harder for me. And now I've gotten sooooo far off topic lol. Can you tell I'm nervous?

Spastic_Dove 09-19-2009 12:28 PM

If you want to go into research or get an Equine Science degree with upper level work, its worth it.
If you want to ride/train/show/give lessons/board/etc it's not worth your time.

Amba1027 09-19-2009 01:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spastic_Dove (Post 406654)
If you want to go into research or get an Equine Science degree with upper level work, its worth it.
If you want to ride/train/show/give lessons/board/etc it's not worth your time.

What about equine management?

Spastic_Dove 09-19-2009 01:36 PM

As far as like...barn management? I think you'd be fine. If you want to work managing a breeding barn or something, some reproduction classes would be good. Otherwise I'd say just go for business.
Where in Maryland are you? There was a school that had equine science I was looking at outside of columbia.

Barry Godden 09-19-2009 01:41 PM

Amba
There is a course starting the week after next at the Gwyndwr University in Wrexham.Wales UK A 3 year course - cost 3250 per year plus board & lodge. It leads to a B Sc (Hons) in porse Psychology.
The course covers all the things you'll ever want to know about horses.

Trouble is, it would be a long way for you to commute.

Barry G

Amba1027 09-19-2009 01:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spastic_Dove (Post 406695)
As far as like...barn management? I think you'd be fine. If you want to work managing a breeding barn or something, some reproduction classes would be good. Otherwise I'd say just go for business.
Where in Maryland are you? There was a school that had equine science I was looking at outside of columbia.

I think it might be geared towards owning a barn. You take a lot of business classes in addition to all the horse stuff.
I'm about 45 minutes outside of DC. I know there's an ES program at Maryland University but they only offer a certificate not a degree. The only school I found that offers a degree is a community college. I haven't looked at it yet. Which college were you looking at?

Spastic_Dove 09-19-2009 03:20 PM

Maybe that was the one. I don't remember the name, but it was in either DC or baltimore. I was looking at their Psych program but I saw they had an equestrian center and program.

The thing I don't like about getting a degree in horses, is I feel they aren't teaching you anything you couldn't learn hands on. The job market for horses is fairly small and it's hard to transfer a horsey degree to any other job posistion.

At my school, it's fairly easy to get into the equine classes as a non-major if you can prove you are competent around horses so that may be an option. Or possibly a minor. I know ARIA does a stable management program but that too is a certificate not a degree but I have found with horse related jobs, they want more real world experience than a degree.

What was the school you were looking at in Jersey?

Amba1027 09-19-2009 06:16 PM

The thing is, whatever degree I get is basically going to be usless. I went to art school for a couple of years which I felt was a complete waste of time because no one is going to care if you went to school or not when they're looking at your art. I learned a few things, but nothing I couldn't have picked up elsewhere. Right now I'm working towards a general studies degree. As I said before, I hate school. So if I just keep going with general studies, once I get that degree that will be it for me as far as school. Once I get a degree in something I'm done. If it were up to me I wouldn't even be bothering with a degree at all (which I know might not be the smartest decision) but my parents are requiring me to get a degree in something. It doesn't matter what it's in.

So I'll either do ES or general, but I would like to do Equine because I actually have an interest in what I'd be learning. Plus a lot of the programs have you doing internships so you do get a lot of hands on experience. Doing ti on my own feels like it would take longer because I've had so much trouble just finding a barn to ride at, finding a place that would actually teach me the things I want to learn feels like it would be impossible.

Centenary College is the one in Jersey I'm looking at. But I'm leaning more towards one that I found in PA since I would like to be closer to home.