The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Breeding (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-breeding/)
-   -   Which Stud? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-breeding/stud-36268/)

KateS 09-19-2009 12:49 AM

Which Stud?

Ok so I am going to breed my mare next year for a 2011 baby. I have it narrowed down to these 2 studs.
Maximus Jac Quarter Horse
Richland Ranch
and
Sbr Formula One Quarter Horse
index

My first pick would be SBR Formula One because I think he is an over all better horse. The down side is that he is in the states so I would have to get it shipped here.

The second stud Maximus Jac is my barn owners horse so he is close. He is a very nice looking horse and his baby's are good looking as well.

What I am looking for in the baby is looks, attitude, and a good pedigree. I am going to show the baby as a yearling and as it gets older use it for reining and barrel racing as the main goal with Pleasure, Trail etc. as secondary.

This is my mare's pedigree. She is a foundation bred quarter horse.
Her Sire.
Lucky Star Mickey Quarter Horse
Her Dam.
Sonny Star Patty Quarter Horse

I have a 7yr old gelding from her and he has and is proving to be a very level easy to train horse just like his mom.

So what I am hoping for from peoples comments is not just who is prettier. I want to know peoples honest and experienced answers. I will be completely honest with you. I don't know much about pedigrees but I do know that my mare has good bloodlines which is why I would like to breed her to a stud that has good bloodlines too.

Thanks for all the responses ahead of time.

reining girl 09-19-2009 01:10 AM

hmmm based on pedigree i like Maximus Jac, but i like the color and the fact that Sbr Formula one has performed and one. Toss up lol, i guess i would choose the buckskin....??

EveningShadows 09-19-2009 01:19 AM

Honestly, as convenient as your barn owner's stud is, I think Formula One looks better overall. I'd like to see a couple pics of your mare though! I met your gelding, I think, at the Morris Stampede - amazing horse and I can see why you'd want to breed her again!

Good luck with your choice, interested to read all the other replies you get!

Rebelappy 09-19-2009 04:18 AM

i like them both really well put together the buckskin is very versital so its probably good guess his get will be the same way take it anyway you want the downfall is really the shipping which is probably a pretty penny just getting it to you just a guess..
I like your barn owners stallion for his pedigree very well bred horse good confo looks very promising and Im just a sucker for bays but he is a very nice stallion and close what a hard choice i would go with the Bay but thats me god luck on that hard choice

P.S your gelding looks alot like the buckskin from the pics you got of him good

KateS 09-19-2009 10:50 AM

4 Attachment(s)
Ok well here are some pictures of my mare as well as my gelding. Like Rebelappy said, my gelding looks alot like SBR Formula One. His sire was a palomino (a pretty ugly one but not my choice :P).
To be completely honest my mare has not had much training so she doesn't use her body correctly. A fact which is going to change in January.

Another reason why I want to breed to SBR Formula One is that no one would have a horse like that out here. I know its a silly reason but thankfully not my main one :-).

A down side to Maximus Jac is that he has this annoying thing where when he is loping he snorts with every breath. His daughter does it even louder than him so if I bred to him I would probably get a snorty baby. But he is a very nice looking horse and well bred.

KateS 09-19-2009 10:56 AM

1 Attachment(s)
oh here is another shot of my mare that I took the other day.