The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Talk (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/)
-   -   Extreme Mustang Makeover - Youth (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/extreme-mustang-makeover-youth-362786/)

CrossCountry 02-12-2014 12:49 PM

Extreme Mustang Makeover - Youth

306 Attachment(s)
I was wondering if anyone has done the Youth & Yearling Mustang challenge? I was thinking about sending in an application for this year. Have any of you done this? How did it go? I would love some more information!
Posted via Mobile Device

aharlov 02-12-2014 01:33 PM

142 Attachment(s)
I haven't done it, but just adopted a mustang (that was already gentled).. someday I hope to get one from the BLM and gentle it myself. Mine is super smart, quick thinking with an incredible mind.

verona1016 02-12-2014 01:37 PM

My BO's granddaughter has done it for the last couple years and really enjoyed it. She kept her first one, which is now just starting under saddle and is super calm and trusting. She liked the second one even more but couldn't keep another horse.

It seemed like a very positive experience all around.
Posted via Mobile Device

CrossCountry 02-12-2014 04:56 PM

306 Attachment(s)
Thank you so much! I was looking at more information on their website and the two closest to me are in Monroe Washington, and McMinnville Oregon. I live in Idaho, and each of those are over 7 hours away, can I still compete? I'm calling them after school today, but I thought I would ask here first. Thanks again!
Posted via Mobile Device

Eolith 02-12-2014 05:05 PM

As long as you're willing to drive several hours to pick up your yearling and then to bring it to the competition, I'm pretty sure the organization doesn't mind where you're located. There are several of these sorts of events held in Texas which I know that people from Washington and Oregon have attended with mustangs they have trained.

I gentled a BLM yearling. It wasn't for an event like this -- we adopted him for ourselves. I can tell you that it's an incredible experience. If you haven't trained a horse from scratch in the past, you'll learn more about yourself and effective horsemanship than you ever thought possible. It's amazing how the littlest steps forward can become so amazing. I was always celebrating "firsts" with my boy, from the first time he took a bit of hay from my hand to the first time he wore a blanket or let me lift his feet. While gentling my yearling I really learned how to use my body language effectively, from staying neutral as I approached him to asking him to stop, turn, or move forward with the smallest changes of position or energy.

Anyway, I definitely think that it's something worth doing if you're seriously interested!

JCnGrace 02-13-2014 12:12 AM

My farrier's son did it last year and is planning for it again this year so he must have enjoyed it. He did come back saying he had a lot to learn. I know one of the things was that he assumed it would be like a halter class for weanlings and it wasn't.

Eolith 02-25-2014 12:29 AM

Guess what!

An announcement was just made that they are planning to have a Extreme Mustang Makeover (complete with the Youth and Yearlings event) in Nampa, Idaho... which I imagine is much closer to you than the other events. So now you should definitely do it!!

Extreme Mustang Makeover | Extreme Mustang Makeover – Idaho

CrossCountry 03-04-2014 08:31 PM

306 Attachment(s)
That's amazing!! Thanks for letting me know! I am downloading the application now!
Posted via Mobile Device

FaithFamilyHorses34 03-05-2014 02:57 PM

I contacted the lady once about the "Teens and Oregon Mustangs" once, (I live out of state) and she said I could, but I would still have to do the Coggins test and all that to take the horse over the state border. I didn't end up doing it because I didn't ask my dad soon enough. :p

CrossCountry 03-23-2014 02:23 AM

306 Attachment(s)
I got my application turned in a little over a week ago, and the deadline was yesterday. Anyone have any clue how fast they heard back about being accepted or declined? (I'm not expecting to hear back super quickly.) I'm so nervous that I can't eat or sleep... I hope I am accepted.