The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Hoof Care (http://www.horseforum.com/hoof-care/)
-   -   What should I do to prepare my horse's feet for the farrier? (http://www.horseforum.com/hoof-care/what-should-i-do-prepare-my-362826/)

ecasey 02-12-2014 01:29 PM

What should I do to prepare my horse's feet for the farrier?

My new-to-me horse is getting a barefoot trim next week, and I wanted to know what I can do to prepare her feet and make the job easier for the farrier.

Right now the conditions around here are wet and very muddy, and they have been for a couple months. I've been treating her for thrush for a couple weeks with some success. It's very hard to beat when she goes right back into the mud after I clean her feet.

Should I scrub them out with soapy water, rinse, and dry with a towel? Leave them just picked and brushed out without washing or rinsing? Make them spotless? Any other ideas?

verona1016 02-12-2014 01:34 PM

When my horse's feet are muddy I will hose them off and give a quick dry with a towel. If I remember, I'll pick them out just before the appointment, but thats something my farrier doesn't seem to care too much about.

If you have a dry spot to keep her for a while you can hose off beforehand and keep her there to dry off until the farrier comes.
Posted via Mobile Device

loosie 02-13-2014 06:45 AM

If you have a clean, pref dry area for the trimmer to work, great. You could also clean the mud from feet then too. If you don't & the horse will be standing in mud for the job, don't stress - there's no point in cleaning them.

ecasey 02-14-2014 02:58 AM

Thanks, everyone!

Clava 02-14-2014 05:28 AM

Wipe off mud, pick out feet and have a hardstanding to work on. My friend who has a feathered cob also puts support bandages up over the feather to keep them out the way.

princessfluffybritches 02-14-2014 11:36 AM

If you greet the farrier with a thermos of something hot and good, he won't mind muddy uncleaned feet.

Zexious 02-14-2014 11:38 AM

Interesting thread! I never thought to pick out my horse's feet for a farrier D:

ecasey 02-15-2014 08:34 AM

I'm going to have some home made hot chocolate ready for her. :)

princessfluffybritches 02-16-2014 01:36 PM

I do think that providing a good area for the farrier and making sure your horse stands for the farrier are much more important than dirty feet.

loosie 02-16-2014 06:02 PM

...wish some of my clients were reading this thread!