The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Breeding (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-breeding/)
-   -   Two Weanlings!!!!!!!!! ahhhhhhhhhhh (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-breeding/two-weanlings-ahhhhhhhhhhh-36284/)

sophie123 09-19-2009 07:36 AM

Two Weanlings!!!!!!!!! ahhhhhhhhhhh

im getting two weanlings! They are coming off of the new forest, and have never been handled. I have never owned foals before and would like to know about any tips. Im quite worried as they arrive in two weeks and i dont know anything.I would also like to know what to expect. Any help is much appreciated !!!!!!!

sophie123 09-19-2009 07:45 AM

Oh, i forgot, they are bay fillies. And there bloodlines are superb.

Nita 09-19-2009 12:26 PM

weanlings have always been tons easy for me. The first thing I would do is separate them. Make sure you are the only one they bond with, NOT each other. Lots of loves and pets and time walking and training at the halter usually works for me, but then I've only worked with QH fillies that are SUPER easy because that's just how their disposition is. Good luck though! I would also recommend seeing a trainer or some other experienced horse person if it's possible. They can help in SO many ways that I can't even explain. Have fun though, weanlings are usually pretty easy, I think!

equus717 09-19-2009 10:06 PM

yes separate them at first. I would actually put them in stalls and handle them there first. Be slow and quiet. With whatever you are doing always talk to them slow and quiet. Whatever you do though do not hit them as you want the first experience from you to be pleasant. If they try to nip at you pop their noses but as soon as they stop always rub there noses so that they know that you aren't still angry with them. Like Clinton Anderson does when he smacks one is as soon as they do it correctly then he rubs where he smacked at so that they know that he still cares about them.
I have raised weanlings and actually will be weaning my 2 foals in the next couple of weeks. If you have any questions pm me or put here and I will write back. Good luck by the way. Do get help with someone who has experience because there is a lot of things to do. Do you have a barn w/ 2 stalls in it. It is okay if they are side by side. Are you getting halters on them or are they coming without halters? Do you know if they are used to being trailered? Are you going to get them yourself or are the people that you are getting the weanlings from bringing them? If you are the one getting them then be prepared for them to take a while to load if they have never been trailered or even seen a trailer before. When are you getting them?

AlmagroN 09-20-2009 12:46 AM

make sure your stalls have a FULL length door on them. they may try to jump it if its only a half door. i just went through this with my yearling :shock: horrible. the dummies that were supposed to be taking her from us to help us wean her stalled her with ANOTHER weanling so she bonded, then they tried to separate them and wondered "why is she climbing the walls?" DUH. so when we got her to the track we have the doors that are cut in half so there is a top and bottom, wellllll she tried to jump it. we ended up having to put a stall gate on the top to stop her. after about a week she was fine and we leave her open with the half door now.

sophie123 09-23-2009 01:44 AM

Thanks for your posts! They are coming on the 3rd of october, so its getting close. i have spoken to my local riding center about getting help and they are more than happy. Although they are coming with their halters on how long should i leave it before i start working with them? I only have one stable, so i dont know how im going to separate them yet. I am bringing them home, but their curent owners are going to load them for me. I still dont have A name so any suggestions welcome!!!
http://www.fernyknap-ponies.co.uk/page14.html This my first one.
http://www.fernyknap-ponies.co.uk/page24.html This is my second one.

Thank you!!!

AlmagroN 09-23-2009 08:10 AM

you really need to separate them. if you dont, they will form too much of a bond and when they grow to large to be in the same stall together, you will find HEAPS of problems because you are breaking a bond. this is a time for them to start learning, not focusing on each other. theyre both so cute by the way. i love a horse with a blaze!!!!

danastark 09-23-2009 08:58 PM

They are very cute! How about Fern and Cara?

Are you going to be riding them someday or did you get them for a project?

sophie123 09-24-2009 12:46 PM

They are for a project mainly, but hope to ride them when older!!! Only got 1 week and 2 days left!!!!

sophie123 09-26-2009 04:01 AM

Does anyone know what i need to buy for their first few days? Are they going to need stable toys? And they are staying in a stable for a few weeks soo do they need extra feed?? I only have one week left soo really need names and help?????