The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Health (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/)
-   -   Cut Himself (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/cut-himself-36291/)

Chess46 09-19-2009 09:50 AM

Cut Himself

Last night I noticed my horse favoring his left front leg a little. I picked it up to look at it and noticed a small cut on the back of his ankle. I'm sure this is due to the barb wire. This morning I went out to feed him and noticed he was limping. He can put all his weight on it but he is limping. I cleaned it off with some peroxide, coated it with Corrona Ointment and wrapped it. Should I be doing anything else? Also, I know for a fact that I am not the only one who has my horse on barbed wire so, is there anything like turn-out leg wraps that I can use to protect his legs? I have heard of putting splint boots on him and turning him out but that wouldn't protect the area he is cut on now. Would Polo Wraps work?

Not to be rude but please do not lecture me on how barbed wire is bad for horses. I already know this but I don't have anywhere else to put him. He is on 15 fully cleared acres and for some reason he decided to hang out around the fence.

ridergirl23 09-19-2009 10:18 AM

i think you can buy turnout boots....but i dont think leg wraps would work because horses can get them off easily, although you might be able to cover it in vet wrap or something.... i wouldnt worry if he doesnt get cut alot, that sounds lik a weird place to be cut by barbed wire and i dont think it will happen again :) but you know your horse better then me so if you want turnout protection i thinkyour best bet is to look online. :) hope this helps

Chess46 09-19-2009 02:09 PM

hehehe.. He has been cut twice..both times was on the back of his ankle. Im pretty sure he paws alot. Its pretty swollen. Is there anything to help the swelling or the pain? I asked about giving him bute paste and was told it is not needed unless the horse is in ALOT of pain. I took the bandage off because it was causing him to limp more with it on. I cleaned the area again. This time while cleaning it I didn't notice a cut or anything. Could it be a puncture wound causing this? I poured some iodine on it and applied some bag balm. I am going to give him a few days of stall rest..just until he is feeling better and I see that he is ready to go out and graze again. I am thinking about maybe getting some Polo Wraps and securing them with some vet wrap so that he cannot get them off. I just don't want him to get hurt again. If anyone has some suggestions please share.

Chess46 09-19-2009 08:50 PM

I just went out to the barn to feed him. He was walking a little better. I walked him out and let him eat a little grass because he has been stalled all day. I cleaned the cut and coated it with some more bag balm. He ate all his grain, drank water and ate some hay. But, before I left I noticed that he had started breathing really heavy (panting) and was quite warm. I had noticed this earlier today as well and took him out and washed him down. His breathing went back to normal after that. Could his heavy breathing be due to the heat? It's 85 degrees out at 8:47 pm. Or could it be something more severe? The swelling on his leg looks like it may have gone down a bit. Could someone please give me some advice?!?!?! I really need to know if I should drive back to the barn or if he'll be okay. Could the cut be infected? Could his heavy breathing be due to a fever or anything?

Please help
Thanks