The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Talk (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/)
-   -   a slew of horsey questions! (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/slew-horsey-questions-36292/)

dreamrideredc 09-19-2009 11:05 AM

a slew of horsey questions!

okay well I have a bunch of questions and it would just be too many posts if I made them all separate...sooo here they are:

how do I get on bareback from the ground? I know I could always get a leg up or use a mounting block, but in the pasture when I get off for something I can't get back on! :cry:

Strategy is a high protein feed, correct?

If changing your horse's diet, you should slowly introduce them to the new feed, correct? A barn we're looking at I THINK makes you use the same feed they use, and I'm already in the process of changing his feed to something else so I really don't want to change it again!

If your horse's poop in loose, he is getting to much protein, right? I thought I heard that somewhere but I don't remember where...

What is proud flesh? I thought it was when too many tissues are produced so something...I don't think I really know what I'm talking about!:lol:

thx in adv. guys...and hugs if you can aswr. all my questions! =D

ridergirl23 09-19-2009 11:13 AM

my mum taught me to swing up onto a bareback horrse by stading close to their shoulder facing their butt, and grab a good chunk of the mane and step forward with your inside leg and swing up with your outside leg. it took me about a month to be able to do it without a few trys :D but it can be really handy

yes always introduce new foods slowly. :)

umm, im not sure about the to much protien thing, i was always taught they were drinking alot of water... but im not sure :)

i have always thought proud flesh was flesh sorta coming out of a wound or something, haha but that was always a guess!!

sorry, i didnt know what stradegy was...but you can probably look at any add for it and it might say :P

hope this helps :)

countrygirl4ever 09-19-2009 11:57 AM

well an easy way to get on bareback is swing up. if you are below the heighth of 5'3 this may not work as well. but you grab on to the horses main (of course this doesn't hurt them) put your right leg back and your left leg near the horses front left hoof. then you swing up there. =]]

CheyAut 09-20-2009 06:19 AM

how do I get on bareback from the ground? I've never been able to! Of course, being only 5' doesn't help, but I can't even do it to my 13h pony lol!

Strategy is a high protein feed, correct? I'm not sure, I'd have to check the label

If changing your horse's diet, you should slowly introduce them to the new feed, correct? yes, correct, it's important to do so slowly

If your horse's poop in loose, he is getting to much protein, right? there are a lot of reasons a horse can have loose poop (including too abrupt a change in diet)

What is proud flesh? it's when too much granulation tissue is forming on a wound, especially happens on lower leg wounds. The growth gets out of hand, and the wound cannot close over because of all the excess growth. There are ways to decrease the chance of it forming, and to help cut it back if it's just starting. But if it gets to be too much, it needs to be cut off (usually by a vet, although some people can and will do so themselves). There are no nerves in this, but a lot of blood supply so it bleeds a ton!

PaintHorseMares 09-20-2009 08:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dreamrideredc (Post 406566)
Strategy is a high protein feed, correct?

Most feeds are in the 10-14% range, and Strategy is one of the higher protein (14%) feeds.

dreamrideredc 09-20-2009 02:50 PM

thanks guys that helps me a lot! =D