The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Show Clothing (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-show-clothing/)
-   -   Tall boots or Half Chaps? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-show-clothing/tall-boots-half-chaps-363258/)

ridetolive4862 02-13-2014 01:11 AM

Tall boots or Half Chaps?

The past few months I have been riding in these: Horse & Rider, ETC.: Intec Heels Down Waterproof Tall Boot because they are
a) insulated
b) waterproof
(the above have been very useful through this cold, wet winter)
c) comfortable
d) the half chaps I wore with my ariat terrains broke and I can't stand riding without my calves protected

Because it will (hopefully!) be getting warmer soonish I am going to need different boots, but I can't decide what kind to get. I could:
a) replace the half chaps that broke and go back to wearing my terrains
b) get a new pair of paddock boots/half chaps (leather to have the look of tall boots)
c) get tall boots

As much as I would love to get all three to have for working, schooling, and showing, I don't have that kind of cash. I am taking lessons at an eventing barn, but haven't showed yet. My instructor is going to want me to show in the spring (She wanted me to show last weekend, but I couldn't because I wan't prepared attire wise and I don't want that to hold me back in the spring)

Because leather half chaps and paddock boots are legal in eventing, I could go with option b and potentially be set for schooling and showing. Except I'm hoping to get on a college equestrian team in the fall which would mean I need tall boots because (correct me if I'm wrong) half chaps, even matching leather, are not legal (or at least highly looked down upon) in the hunter ring.

So basically I'm totally lost and confused as to which direction to go it with my boots. Any help/suggestions/convincing me spending tons of money is ok (good luck there) would be greatly appreciated!:-)

KarlaD 02-13-2014 03:48 AM

I would go with the tall boots. They look much nicer in the show ring. I also attend lots of eventing shows and haven't noticed many people wearing half chaps at the eventing shows. You don't need to get the most expensive boots, you know...just a reasonably decent pair! Then when they start to get worn out they can become your schooling boots and you can get a bit "nicer" pair for shows the next time.

Zexious 02-13-2014 11:26 AM

If you are planning to show and can only purchase one, I would definitely go with tall boots. I attend(ed xD) quite a few hunter shows, and have never seen half chaps at anything above a schooling level. They are definitely not appropriate for IHSA.

Corporal 02-13-2014 12:00 PM

I dearly love tall Hunt boots to ride in, myself.
EquiStar Showmaster Field Boot - Statelinetack.com

DuckDodgers 02-13-2014 01:35 PM

Go with the tall boots. Even if they're legal, I don't think it's appropriate to show in half chaps if at all possible. They do sell some really cheap half chaps for like $20something, so maybe you could consider getting a pair for days when you don't want tall boots. I know some people that use them just fine, but they are usually very thin.
Posted via Mobile Device

Saddlebag 02-15-2014 03:50 PM

Ride, I'm curious. What broke on the Ariats. I was thinking of getting a pair of their half chaps.

ridetolive4862 02-16-2014 12:07 AM

Thanks guys. I figured tall boots would be the way to go.

Saddlebag, my ariat terrains are still in great condition. Because ariat no longer makes the terrain half chap, I had to get the middleburg washable chap that just barely squeezed over the terrains. I think something got put on top of them while they were sitting in my garage so the zipper pull thingy closed up and wouldnt zip up. I tried to bend it back open and it broke off. Not a problem with how anything was made, just me being careless with where I put my stuff down.

Zexious 02-16-2014 04:30 PM

Ariat is a great brand. My paddock boots, tall boots, and half chaps are all Ariat--I'd definitely recommend them ;D