The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Health (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/)
-   -   What do you supplement? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/what-do-you-supplement-3633/)

Painted1 10-02-2007 12:55 PM

What do you supplement?

I've done a lot of working student positions at a lot of different facilities and have also worked at a couple of barns. I am very intrigued in the different preferences of feeding choices, especially the addition of various supplements.

Have you found something that you believe does or does not work? What do you use? What have you used? Why do you feed what you do?? Thanks!!!

I'm currently experimenting with different things.....

My 10 yo Paint is receiving 3/4 scoop sweet feed, a half scoop of beet pulp, 2 capfuls of wheat germ oil, and 1.5 scoops Fat Cat (scoop given with supplements). Justin is a very very easy keeper! During hot weather, he does get a 1/2 scoop of electrolytes (he has a dehydration problem.).... vet recommended.

My 5 yo OTTB (who is having a hard time keeping weight on) is getting A LOT (haha) of food. 1 scoop Senior food (very digestible), 1 scoop sweet feed, 1.5 scoops beet pulp, 2 capfuls of wheat germ oil, and 3 scoops of Fat Cat. This is a very very hard horse to keep... He gets fed about 3x a day, but his afternoon lunch is a 1/2 and 1/2 of Senior and Sweet,

Any ways, these supplements are experimental. A good friend of mine who has been around horses a long time recommended Fat cat, so I'm giving it a whirl..... any experience with this supplement? Thanks.

Vidaloco 10-02-2007 09:21 PM

I just feed an all around horse pellet to everyone. I have started giving probios treats when we travel. Our girls don't work too hard we just trail ride and 11-12 miles is about all we do tops. I was looking for something to keep their digestion working well when they go on long trips in the trailer. The probios seems to be working well so far but the longest we have gone is 3 hour drive. We have a trip planned this week that will be 6 hours in the trailer so we'll see.

jazzyrider 10-03-2007 09:30 AM

for their mix they get rice bran, cracked lupins, pellets, chaffe, garlic and molasses. plus 24/7 hay.

i started supplementing with equilibrium b1 cool mix (will change to equilibrium mineral mix when my mare has fattened up). its a supplement developed here in oz by a vet who also has horses. he wanted to be able to supplement his horses feed with one concoction instead of many. its a COMPLETE supplement and i have noticed major improvements in every way since using it. contains absolutely everything including electrolytes. any time of year, no electrolytes are needed.

supplementing is important as normal horse feeds dont contain everything they need (well not over here anyways)

ive worked at many different establishments myself and have seen many different ways. the girl in the yard next to mine feeds nothing but bran and a little chaffe. a cringe every time but, each to their own i guess.

Painted1 10-03-2007 11:23 AM

Yeah, I know exactly what you mean!