The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Colors and Genetics (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-colors-genetics/)
-   -   Genetic Testing, FRUSTRATING (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-colors-genetics/genetic-testing-frustrating-363394/)

FGRanch 02-13-2014 11:46 AM

Genetic Testing, FRUSTRATING

For the test that I require there are two main lab's. First is UC Davis, who American Quarter Horse Association has a contract with, second is Animal Genetics.

Anyways I have been testing my breeding stock long before it became popular and LONG before AQHA was requiring that my stallions need to be tested before they are bred. And for the majority of my testing needs I have used Animal Genetics.

I need to 5 panel test a new colt, so today I started off calling AQHA ( because it makes more sense, we hope he will make a future stallion and since they will require I test through them before he is bred, I figured, why not go to them and then if he does make a stallion it's already done) I asked if they keep their samples on file, after nearly ten mins on hold she informs me yes they do (Oh great! Saves me sending hair) so I ask her to send me a request form and I will send in payment immediately. I then get a call from a lab saying that since my sample is more than a few weeks old they will need a new sample (Really?! :? why is it EVERYTIME I deal with AQHA RE: UC Davis I get two totally different stories)

Anyways so then I call Animal Genetics as I want to do some colour testing on a filly that I had sent hair samples away on nearly 5 months ago. In UNDER 2 mins the test was ordered, paid for, AND they were able to use a sample I had already sent months ago. Saved me a TON of time.

I guess this turned into a rant of sorts, but I just want people who have only used UC Davis to see that there is much better options there. And I desperately encourage all AQHA Owners and Breeders to write a letter to AQHA requesting that they allow testing from other labs.

NdAppy 02-13-2014 11:50 AM

It's really sad and disgusting that the AQHA has to pull a power trip and refuse any testing from labs that are not UC Davis.

FGRanch 02-13-2014 11:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NdAppy (Post 4756418)
It's really sad and disgusting that the AQHA has to pull a power trip and refuse any testing from labs that are not UC Davis.

I agree, and no matter who I talk to at AQHA they just don't seem to understand that frustration that breeders are dealing with over this. :evil:

NdAppy 02-13-2014 12:01 PM

Nope. And for those testing, they don't inform them that the AQHA owns those samples if you test through their form. You also have to wait for the AQHA to "approve" with UCDavis you finding out the test results. So much stupid.

If you go through UCDavis yourself and then give that copy to the AQHA, you get the results faster (from what I've been hearing) and you own the results, not the AQHA.

FGRanch 02-13-2014 12:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NdAppy (Post 4756546)
Nope. And for those testing, they don't inform them that the AQHA owns those samples if you test through their form. You also have to wait for the AQHA to "approve" with UCDavis you finding out the test results. So much stupid.

If you go through UCDavis yourself and then give that copy to the AQHA, you get the results faster (from what I've been hearing) and you own the results, not the AQHA.

Right, and right. However, their rule (in 2014 all stallions breeding over 25 mares must be tested & in 2015 ALL stallions breeding must be tested) requires that you MUST order the test through AQHA not directly from UC Davis. Well at least is the latest story I have heard from AQHA.

I currently own 1 breeding stallion, 2 junior stallions, and 15 mares and fillies. Obviously once I am forced into it I will test the stallions through UC Davis ( all three are currently tested and clean through Animal Genetics) But as far as the mares and fillies go (the majority of my horses) I will use Animal Genetics for all of my testing needs.

NdAppy 02-13-2014 01:03 PM

I also believe there are people fighting with AQHA over forcing to use UCDavis, but I'm not update on it as I don't own/breed AQHA horses.

FGRanch 02-13-2014 01:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NdAppy (Post 4756922)
I also believe there are people fighting with AQHA over forcing to use UCDavis, but I'm not update on it as I don't own/breed AQHA horses.

There is, and I am. But so far it's been about as productive as me telling my mares what colour, sex, and markings their foals will be/will have. :lol:

Another great example of how great Animal Genetics is; A few months ago I had a filly who I suspected had PSSM1 (She had no symptoms but I had found out that her dam had had it) I sent in a hair sample and as soon as I got an email that they had received the sample I called to see how long until I got results (It varies depending on how many test's they have it at that time) I did express concern that I thought this filly may have PSSM1. She told me the results would be to me in less than 4 business days. I got the results in less than 2 hours :shock:

NEVER once have I been disappointed in the services or the customer service with Animal Genetics. As far as UC Davis & AQHA....oh don't even get me started, the list is VERY long.

luv2ride 02-19-2014 09:45 PM

I had to have my mare genetically tested in order to paper the foal she is having. I ordered the kit through AQHA and had to send the hairs. To UC Davis. I did this in January and have never heard back. Do they send you anything letting you know that the testing was successful? Did you have to have your mares tested or just your stallions?

paintedpastures 02-19-2014 10:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by luv2ride (Post 4802826)
I had to have my mare genetically tested in order to paper the foal she is having. I ordered the kit through AQHA and had to send the hairs. To UC Davis. I did this in January and have never heard back. Do they send you anything letting you know that the testing was successful? Did you have to have your mares tested or just your stallions?

AQHA should send you in mail a DNA type sticker with a # on it for your mare's registration papers:-). You will not receive anything from UC Davis:-) So have to wait for whenever AQHA gets around to sending it. I'd give them till end of month,if nothing i'd phone & check:wink:

FGRanch 02-19-2014 10:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by luv2ride (Post 4802826)

Eventually they will send you something in the mail, you can probably call and get results over the phone tho.

As of right now we are not required to test our mares. However we choose to test, but we sure in the heck don't do it through AQHA to do it.