The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Health (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/)
-   -   Is there a reason to peel chestnuts other than looks? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/there-reason-peel-chestnuts-other-than-36350/)

CloudsMystique 09-19-2009 11:49 PM

Is there a reason to peel chestnuts other than looks?

I was wondering because I saw my mare chewing on hers while she was lying down. She was chewing on her ergots too.

Can they get itchy or something if you don't peel them? I had never heard of that, but I've never seen a horse chewing on them before. Any ideas?

AQHA13 09-20-2009 03:28 AM

One time my filly's got long and when one of them peeled of naturally/ or got caught on something, don't really know, it was too short and bled.

AussieDaisyGirl 09-20-2009 10:33 AM

I'm not really sure, I haven't heard of a horse chewing on them. Maybe it got itchy? I sort of sand Carolina's a bit with the slickneasy block.

ridergirl23 09-20-2009 10:59 AM

usually our horses just peel off, but onone hrose they grow and grow and grow, so the ferrier clips them.

drafteventer 09-20-2009 11:40 AM

I don't think so...I have to peel Remi's for halter classes. But I usually do it anyway because his are a little unsightly lol.

dashygirl 09-20-2009 11:51 AM

I've never heard of a reason otherwise than aesthetics. But I can see why they may get itchy - dry, hard skin would bother me too! Though I've never seen a horse bite at or itch one, but ya never know!

Vidaloco 09-20-2009 12:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AQHA13 (Post 407228)
One time my filly's got long and when one of them peeled of naturally/ or got caught on something, don't really know, it was too short and bled.

Thats one of the reason you peel them if you can. If they get too big, they can catch on stuff, if they catch they can cause a rip and then you have to deal with possible infections etc..
Just a side FYI...It's believed that the chestnut was once a spur type of growth that the prehistoric horse would use in fighting/defense. The ergot is believed to have been a toe
There are many theories on this though.