The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Talk (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/)
-   -   Question for BC Canada people (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/question-bc-canada-people-363602/)

KatieQ 02-13-2014 08:53 PM

Question for BC Canada people

Hi fellow canucks! I am currently residing on Vancouver Island and am thinking about relocating in the next year or two. I want to stay in BC but am unsure which areas of BC are suitable for horses (particularly Northern BC). Any pointers? I don't mind snow but constant 40 below is a bit much. Lower Mainland is way too expensive, as is the Okanagan I suspect. Are there any parts of BC that are just no good?

waresbear 02-13-2014 09:26 PM

Cariboo region is fairly reasonable, South Cariboo, temperatures are milder here, rarely do we get -40 but it does happen. Also, lots & lots of horse competitions here.

NorthernHorse 02-14-2014 01:04 PM

Well I lived in Northern BC my whole life, particularly in the north peace region around fort st john, and they get a ton of snow and it can get cold, they had -35C - -40C weather about a week ago. There is a horse community there but be prepared for snow and cold. Also it is very expensive to live up there right now, housing is very pricy.

The Prince George region might be nice for you, although we get a ton of snow, and it can get cold, but most of the time its a rather mild winter temp wise. But there is a lot of horse stuff always going on here, there are numerous barns and arenas around. Williams lake and the surrounding regions could be a nice fit, but again can get lots of snow, and can get lower temps.

The Okanogan has nice mild winters (most of the time). And there is lots of horse shows and events down there to. As for it being expensive to live there it can go either way. Also depends on if your wanting to rent or buy. For instance, I have a friend who lives there and she's trying to sell her apartment and she wont get hardly anything for it.

I could probably go on and on, but I haven't had my coffee yet, and my brain isn't working yet lol, but Good luck with your search.

FGRanch 02-14-2014 01:40 PM

I say head east a bit and come join us in Alberta! :)

thetempest89 02-14-2014 02:30 PM

I would suggest posting on BC"s tack and horse trade group on FB. Most of them are interior people. They'll be able to tell you.

KatieQ 02-16-2014 12:32 PM

FG I grew up in Alberta, and there are many beautiful areas but I still don't want to go back. BC has been home for many, many years and I would miss it too much.

waresbear 02-16-2014 02:09 PM

Another area worth considering is the Barriere, Little Fort area, gets less snow and milder temperatures & about a month less of winter. Prices for land is reasonable as well and you are in the hub of horse activities, everything is in reasonable hauling distance.
Posted via Mobile Device

KatieQ 02-16-2014 03:54 PM

Thanks Waresbear, I have been looking at all those areas (including Cariboo). All look pretty hopeful, as my focus is more toward backcountry riding rather than shows and events.

aspin231 02-16-2014 10:57 PM

The northern area of the Okanagan is more reasonably priced, both for rentals (not sure about real estate) and for boarding. Armstrong has a strong horse community and is a bit of a hub as I understand it, though I don't show my horse.
Good luck in your endeavours, I'm about to pack up and head east myself... way out of BC, haha.

Koolio 02-16-2014 11:11 PM

Barriere is beautiful horse country!

I grew up in the East Kootenay's in Cranbrook. It's a nice place with pretty good weather. Winters are mild and summers are generally quite nice. Overall, it is dry but with a fair amount of snow in winter. There are some nice horse properties around Wycliffe area but I am not sure of the prices. I was in Pony Club there a million years ago but I recall most of the riding was western. I don't know if Wycliffe rodeo grounds still has it's cross country course or not, but they did back in the day.