The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Western Riding (http://www.horseforum.com/western-riding/)
-   -   New To Western...Show Costs? (http://www.horseforum.com/western-riding/new-western-show-costs-36420/)

ConclusivelySmooth 09-20-2009 07:52 PM

New To Western...Show Costs?

I ride English, never ridden Western with the exception of a Pay-To-Trail ride (I was 9 xD) and helping train a western horse english (rode her in an english saddle, with a western bit)

My horse was trained in Western, but I ride him English. He's just as good at western, though. (Don't worry, I'm getting a trainer so I don't completely confuse him xD)

I'd be showing western, and wondered about the costs.
Right now, I found a Saddle package that comes with everything, thats REALLY affordable (running around $440, with shipping! :-o)
But I'm wondering about me.

My mom makes custom Western Outfits, so she'll make the shirt and chaps. As for pants, a trusted source said that english breeches are fine.

So, I'm asking you western riders.
What is the average cost for a show hat? For show boots? A belt?

And I have questions regarding equipment, like, do you need a breastplate? Do you have to ride with one hand, or can you have the two reins?

Really, any advice helps me a ton xD

Sorry for the long post, I hope you're all awake, and thanks SO much for reading!

GottaRide 09-21-2009 02:09 PM

First of all, be very cautious when you find a saddle package deal that cheap. You usually get what you pay for. It is better to find a used brand name show saddle to help keep costs affordable. Look for names like Circle Y, Blue Ribbon, Dale Chavez, Champion Turf, Billy Cook.

You can wear breeches under chaps when showing western. The breeches should be the same color as the chaps. If you are showing in halter or showmanship, you will need western show pants. Jeans work, but show pants are a better choice and they cost about the same. You can get pants from Hobby Horse, Schneider's Tack or Rods for around $50. Belts should be the same color as your pants, and avoid the blingy ones. These cost between $20-$50.

A western show hat ranges in price from $25 to $500+. You want to get as high quality as you can get. Again, you can find something used for a much lower price than buying new.

You can find boots for under $200 that work well in the showring. Your boots should match your pants/chaps. Do not get anything with a chunky sole, and no crepe soles. Round toe or square toe, no pointy toes.

You do not need a breast collar for showing in a western riding class. They are rarely seen in the show ring these days.

Your horse's age will determine if you can ride two handed or have to go one handed. Any horse aged 6 years & older have to ride one-handed in a shank bit for the show ring. Your trainer should be able to help you with this.

ConclusivelySmooth 09-21-2009 07:07 PM

Okay. Thanks SO much!

ConclusivelySmooth 09-21-2009 07:35 PM

Wait...do you think I could get away with wearing brown jodphur boots? If the chaps are over them, you'd only really see the foot...

And what's your opinion on this hat?
Jack Daniel's wool felt cowboy hat

GottaRide 09-22-2009 11:05 AM

This hat is a better choice.
Justin 2X Roper wool felt western hat
Notice that the hat band is less noticable on this hat. You want everything to blend.