The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Reining (http://www.horseforum.com/reining/)
-   -   Crazy stupid question! (breed) (http://www.horseforum.com/reining/crazy-stupid-question-breed-364305/)

farmpony84 02-14-2014 11:09 PM

Crazy stupid question! (breed)

I know to show AQHA reining I'd obviously need an AQHA but... If I were to do the NRHA or a state RHA would the breed matter? Or can I open my search to paints and appaloosas?

CLaPorte432 02-15-2014 01:16 PM

893 Attachment(s)
NRHA allows all breeds. You'll find it QH dominated though...
Posted via Mobile Device

farmpony84 02-15-2014 10:49 PM

I was goofing off on dreamhorse last night and noticed exactly that. I didn't even pick the breed, did the search by discipline only and all ads I pulled were AQHA. The average price for what I want is 15k... :(

elbandita 02-15-2014 11:00 PM

you can join the ApRHA if you're interested in appaloosa breed specific reining. You still need to be an NRHA Member.

FGRanch 02-16-2014 12:57 AM

Are you joining Reining? What are you looking for I might be able to help you out.

farmpony84 02-16-2014 04:45 PM

I just started taking reining lessons. I'm pretty new at it right now. I've got a really slow spin going. It feels crazy fast but on video it's silly slow. I have gotten the sliding stop right twice, all other times have been just ok. I do have the rollback down though.

I was hoping to try my first show this summer but at the rate the weather has been going, I don't know if I'll make it. I don't want to buy a horse until I at least feel like I have an idea of what I'm doing though.... I thought maybe this summer but again, not sure if I'll be there or not....

ReiningCrazy 02-19-2014 02:32 PM

Its okay Farmpony. I have been Reining for roughly 2 years now and am finally at a level I can probably hold my own at a green as grass show this year. I will not show until next year since my horse will be shown for the first time this year.

Dont rush and buy a reiner until you know what you are doing comfortably and what type of reiner you want. I have ridden 6 reiners in my 2 years all with different styles, strengths and weaknesses and am happy to experience all of them. It will make having your own easier.

Fall is the best time to buy the reiners thats when people are now bumped out of their classes and might need a different horse to continue in the next show season.

farmpony84 02-19-2014 08:32 PM

I was hoping I could get a good starter reiner for about 5K but it's looking like they are going for much higher...

ReiningCrazy 02-20-2014 09:38 AM

The way my trainer talked to me about it was get comfortable in doing the reining on lesson horses and then when you are good to show buy a younger horse that will last you longer and wont be so ring sour. He said I could buy a been there done that horse but the demands other people have put on that horse, the up keep to trying to keep the horse sound and having a horse that will not cheat in the arena after doing the same thing for years is hard.

I bought Lionel as a 3 year old and paid more then 5k but he is a nonpro horse, no one else has ridden him but my trainer and he will be shown nice and easy this year at 4 by my trainer. Next year he will start me in green as grass and he should last me up to Rookie or NonPro and by then he will be 11 and will probably deserve a change of pace.

The best thing about waiting and saving the money to get a really good horse is you do not want to get a 5k horse and compete against a better horse and NEVER WIN. Not that winning is everything but why show when your OKAY horse doesnt have it in them to compete with the better quaility horses. You pay for breeding as much as you pay for training put on the horse.

Take lessons and learn, save every penny you can and your trainer should be able to find you something that will suit your style and goals when ready to show. As soon as you know how to ride a reiner properly you will be able to show any horse, its not like you need a year or more to get that horse and you show ready. I will ride Lionel after this show season is over (Octoberish) and be showing by May.

I know its hard to wait even if you know thats the best option. I day dream about riding Lionel all the time but only 7 more months or so.

Roux 04-27-2014 03:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CLaPorte432 (Post 4770497)
NRHA allows all breeds. You'll find it QH dominated though...

When you say all breeds does that mean un-registered horses as well? Or do you have to have a registered something?