The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Breeds (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-breeds/)
-   -   Appys changing colors? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-breeds/appys-changing-colors-36460/)

Rayzee 09-21-2009 10:37 AM

Appys changing colors?

So I'm aware that Appys can change colors as they get older, and their patterns can somewhat change. But there's a girl who is saying that she has this 2 year old Appy colt. She showed pictures of him from earlier this year, and it's a totally grey horse, no leg markings or blanket or anything, and you can barely see a face marking. Now she's posting pictures of this light chestnut colt with a blanket, leg markings, and a blaze, and she's trying to pass it off as the same colt. Someone asked her about it, asking how he could changes colors that dramatically in such a short period of time, and she said that he was originally born chestnut, and then he turned grey, and now he's getting his color back.
They greying out part I can halfway believe, but I always thought it couldn't happen in horses as young as 2? But it's not possible for a greyed out horse to gain their color back, is it?

smrobs 09-21-2009 01:19 PM

I have never heard of anything like that before. If I could look at some pix of the horse(s) I could better guess if it is the same horse or not.

Haley 09-21-2009 01:53 PM

No, a horse cannot change from gray back to their true color color. The girl is lying. And appy's coat colors can't change either. Only their patterns will change.

hollybee 09-21-2009 02:15 PM

well, i went to see a horse who (at the time (winter)) looked like a dapple grey, they showed me a video of him jumping in summer and he was a brown leopard spot with a completely brown face & then they showed me a picture of him as a foal and he was palomino . . . i don't know whether they were lying or not, but he had a roach back which i could see on the foal picture and the video of him . . .
i know it sounds unbelievable, but that's what i saw !

in the end i didn't buy him, but you know haha

mom2pride 09-21-2009 02:35 PM

I would more so believe it if he had just turned grey. However, born chestnut, grey out, and suddenly get his solid color back? I don't think that's possible.

Now, as far as the post above, I think that can happen; a horse darkening out somewhat, if he's born lighter, but it probably has to do with the fact that he was dark underneath that lighter pali color in the first place.

hollybee 09-21-2009 02:45 PM

well yes, i've never heard of something chopping and changing from grey to chestnut, but someone above said appys cant change colour so . . .

Haley 09-21-2009 06:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hollybee (Post 408321)
well, i went to see a horse who (at the time (winter)) looked like a dapple grey, they showed me a video of him jumping in summer and he was a brown leopard spot with a completely brown face & then they showed me a picture of him as a foal and he was palomino . . . i don't know whether they were lying or not, but he had a roach back which i could see on the foal picture and the video of him . . .
i know it sounds unbelievable, but that's what i saw !

in the end i didn't buy him, but you know haha

It's entirely possible (infact, there's no other way) for a foal to be born palomino then change to grey, because grey is a modifier that over time causes de-pigmentation of the colored hairs. No foals are born grey. If they have the grey gene, they are born whatever color they are (palomino, sorrel, bay, black, etc) and then start greying out as they get older.

However, changing from palomino to grey then brown or whatever, completely impossible. Once a horse greys, it doesn't change.

RoosterDo 09-21-2009 07:21 PM

My appy was a bay with a blanket when I got him at 10 months, when he was matured he was a white leopard with bay spots all over but kept his black mane, tail, and legs.

hollybee 09-21-2009 07:22 PM

Quote:

However, changing from palomino to grey then brown or whatever, completely impossible. Once a horse greys, it doesn't change.
say whatever you like, i know what i saw so i couldn't care less what you say =]

Fire Eyes 09-21-2009 09:57 PM

I don't know about appy's. But I know roans that go from almost solid white to chestnut/bay with white flecks. Major coat changes.

But there is no way a horse that is born Paly will go grey then brown. I'm sorry but that just isn't possible.
When foals are done shedding their baby coat, that is the colour they stay. That colour can change slightly, lightening in summer etc, but it will never be a complete different colour.