The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Health (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/)
-   -   Does she look off to you? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/does-she-look-off-you-36465/)

WindSnapper 09-21-2009 12:53 PM

Does she look off to you?

Could someone take a look at theses clips of my mare and tell me if she looks "off' to you as well. I noticed her walking a little funny this morning when she came in for grain, she normally trots or canters in to beat the gelding so it was unusual that she was just walking. My fiance had mentioned she looked funny when I was riding her the other day but she felt fine:? I'd like someone else's eyes to see if something is really up, or if its just me imagining something. It seems like she is not flexing her left hock right, its more noticable to me at the walk. I appologize that the videos are so shaky, I was trying to record and keep her going in the round pen at the same time.
Heres one of her trotting, then walking at the end:
Just walking:

ridergirl23 09-21-2009 12:57 PM

i think she looks fine, but i dont know your horse... does she always bobb her head like that when she walks? sorry, i cant tell wen i dont know how the horse normally moves :)

dee 09-21-2009 02:11 PM

She does look like she has a slight "hitch in her getalong" in the rear. She looks more stiff than sore, though. She may have just twisted something that made her a tad sore. I wouldn't worry unless it gets worse - she didn't seem to be in any real pain that I could see.

JustDressageIt 09-21-2009 02:39 PM

She doesn't look terribly off, but her hind end is stiff. She isn't tracking up with either hind leg, and I would be so bold as to say that it looks worse on the off hind (inside hind leg in the first video.) Any real shortness of stride was worked out within the first half of the first circle in the trotting video. To me, it looks like stiffness, not lameness.

mls 09-21-2009 02:41 PM

I agree - she appears to be stiff behind.

WindSnapper 09-21-2009 02:57 PM

Sorry I meant right hind, not the left hind (near side in the video as Justdressageit meantioned too).
No clue what she could have done to herself, shes been a pasture ornament the last few days. As I said it was just odd that she didn't race the gelding in this morning. And she usually gallops around like a maniac when I first put her in the round pen, but I had to encourage her just to trot out for the video.

NorthernMama 09-21-2009 10:58 PM

To me she looks uncomfortable (stiff / sore) generally in the hind. I would venture that maybe she hurt herself at the end of her back somewhere -- could be a sore muscle only, but I say back because it's both legs. Maybe she rolled over a rock in the paddock or something minor like that. I'd give her a few days to work it out... hand walking and trotting. Try different terrain -- up and down hills, over low obstacles, etc... to get the muscles moving differently and see how she reacts.

WindSnapper 09-22-2009 01:22 PM

Could this be due to her being in heat? She is definately showing signs of being in season this morning

NorthernMama 09-22-2009 11:32 PM

Never heard of that, but maybe -- after all some women have a harder time during the month and it really affects them physically. I'd assume not, but remember it for next time.

ridergirl23 09-22-2009 11:34 PM

it could be cuz she is in heat... i know a few horses that actually have to have time off everytime they are in heat cuz they get so tense and 'cramped' up