The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Health (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/)
-   -   Medicine Boots (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/medicine-boots-36477/)

farmpony84 09-21-2009 04:03 PM

Medicine Boots

I feel like this is one of those "I'm stupid" questions but I'm going to ask it anyway...

When I go to the shows I notice a ton of the western pleasure horses are wearing medicine boots. I'm wondering, since Riley is only 3 if I should be using them for work-outs...? I had always been told that if you don't need them, you don't use them (so the horse dosn't become dependent on them) but then I was thinking western pleasure is pretty hard on a 3 year old... ? I dunno... thoughts?

Professional's Choice? SMB II? Sports Medicine Boots - Horse.com

trashcanchaser 09-21-2009 05:30 PM

i run barrels and to me it is a need. the tendons go thru alot in the hard turns. if you kept the boots on the horse all the time they will become dependent on them. but they say not to leave them on for over 12 hours or something like that anyways. if they are in the pasture then i wouldnt worry about it or if i was on a trail ride when the ground is dryor even if i was doing some simple arena work for conditioning or flexing i wouldnt worry bout them. if the ground is slick or if i am working a horse doing fast or stenous(sp) things i would use them. if you have a horse that is prone to clipping thier front feet with their backs i like to keep bell boots on them anytime i ride and sometimes when they are in the pasture just for extra protection but they only protect, not support think of it like an athlete. if they are going jogging or just to the gym they probably wouldnt wrap their ankles or wrists but if they were going to play football or do gymnastics then they probably would.

QHChik 09-21-2009 06:00 PM

I always rode my pleasure horse in them when we were going to be doing any extension of the trot. I would long trot him to warm him up and that was the reason he wore the boots. I also put them on him because I rode him almost every day.

kchfuller 09-21-2009 06:06 PM

i think SMB are the CHEAPEST insurance ever!

farmpony84 09-21-2009 06:09 PM

I have been really working the lope hard so that is why I'm thinking I should use them. I believe I'll check out the local tack store.

MIEventer 09-21-2009 06:10 PM

To be honest farmpony, I think it's a fad.

The boots are designed to absorb shock and to prevent any harsh movements from causing pulled tendons and ligaments and muscles.

I use my boots only when I am doing CC or Jumping. I never use boots when I am doing flat work - and you are right farmpony, if you don't need them, don't use them.

These boots are wonderful and they do their job, but don't become too dependant on them, especially when you are doing flat work.

If you do choose to use them, make sure they are on your horses legs no longer than 2 hours. They are thick, 3 layers of neoprene thick and don't breathe well.

That goes for any boot lined with neoprene *which is pretty much the majority that are out there* because you can cause damage if they are left on too long due to the heat that they create between the leg and the boot.

My personal opinion, don't use the boots for flat work - but that's my choice.

And no, your horse wont become dependant on them at all if you use them all the time. What you do want though, is for your horse to beable to strengthen and build up their leg muscles through flat work and their conditioning regime

QHChik 09-21-2009 06:10 PM

I would. They are about $70 (I think, I haven't bought them in a long time) but they last forever. They even clean up great, all you have to do is throw them in the washer!

G and K's Mom 09-21-2009 06:16 PM

I'm with MIEventer. It's funny, you go to a show and one person has some new "thing". Sure as anything a couple of shows later almost everyone is sporting the same thing.

I also agree that 2-3 hours is tops. They don't breath at all. I've used boots for jumping but not for flat work.

QHChik 09-21-2009 06:18 PM

I wouldn't say that they are that "new". One set I have is probably at least 10 years old. If you feel like you're going to be working your horse (doing lots of loping, lots of extension, etc) I would put the boots on.

Of course, that's just me.

kchfuller 09-21-2009 06:56 PM

check out discounthorse.com

they have SMB for a great price!