The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Farm Forum (http://www.horseforum.com/farm-forum/)
-   -   Taking down a piece of the past LOTS OF PICS (http://www.horseforum.com/farm-forum/taking-down-piece-past-lots-pics-36490/)

grayshell38 09-21-2009 05:31 PM

Taking down a piece of the past LOTS OF PICS

9 Attachment(s)
I don't know if this is really on topic, but over the next few months I will be helping clean up and take down a gothic arch barn, which will then be used to build a house and barn. This is just a test post to see if anyone is interested in watching as we progress through it. If so then I will be happy to post photos and updates, if not, then oh well. Here are some of the photos of before we did anything to the barn and then a couple of after we just tore out rotten flooring and cleaned the first floor. 50 years ago this was an amazing, state of the art show barn. It won many of our local awards for dairy barns. This barn is 120ft long and feels like you're in an airplane hanger. It really is awsome! Or maybe I'm just one little freak that likes old barns.....:?: hehehe!

eventerdrew 09-21-2009 05:36 PM

wow. What a great old barn. I'm excited to see what it will turn into!

thanks for sharing. I love love love old barns like this

RoosterDo 09-21-2009 08:18 PM

really neat, I would love to watch the progress.

ShannonSevenfold 09-26-2009 08:54 PM

I would love to watch the progress, too. That is a really awesome old barn! You're not alone.. hehe

ThatNinjaHorse 09-26-2009 09:12 PM

thats awesome!
you've got a big job ahead of you!

NorthernMama 09-26-2009 09:24 PM

What a beautiful barn! I've done a lot of these tear-downs and rebuilds. The livingroom floor in the house I grew up in was hardwood flooring from a dance hall for example. This is a huge project -- good luck and sending you patience and band-aids!

grayshell38 09-27-2009 12:09 PM

Thanks everyone! We are still in the 'clean up' phase now, but things are moving smoothly. I took more photos yesterday and I'll have them up in a bit if my computer decieds to be nice!

Heybird 09-28-2009 03:38 PM

Very cool!!!! I'm interested in seeing the process :shock::wink:

grayshell38 09-29-2009 12:49 AM

10 Attachment(s)
Sorry for disappearing there for a bit, my internet was not being happy in the storms we've had out here this weekend. Here are picks from early sat. morning as we mainly cleaned the outside to keep the county from complaining. We have almost cleaned out the inside as well. All that is left is to empty the gutters and get rid of the old hay and straw. There is one set back though. The south wall is completly rotten through at one of the support beams and we will have to shore it up quickly before gravity and maybe snow decide to take the barn down first! As you can see in a few of the photos the roof is beginning to cave in at that point. This is very bad, and we will have our fingers crossed over winter that it stays standing. If you notice alot of stones around the barn, those are from the foundation of the old barn that stood there before this one. It burnt down in the late 40's or so at which point this (then) state-of-the-art dairy barn was built. Enjoy some of these pictures, as the inside looks much nicer already!

grayshell38 09-29-2009 12:50 AM

For anyone who's wondering, the small room with the little mulberry tree growing in the middle of it is the milk house.