The Horse Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

It's a filly!

4K views 29 replies 20 participants last post by  Chiilaa 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
Born this morning, looks to be a tri colored paint filly. Momma is a buckskin/grey QH mare AQHA- lastchancepocococo Daddy- EZMOVIN king amigo A black and white homozygous APHA stud. Both can be found on all breed pedigree not sure what to call this little one yet, wanted her on valentines day but at least she's happy and healthy!!! Photos to come.

#27 ·
Oh my gosh, I just LOVE her butt!!! Cutest butt ever!

I will not even guess on the gray/vs. not because her legs are white, and for me that is the easiest indicator to see gray. I have a gray colt that was NOT born with white goggles or even a single white hair around his eyes at all. He's only now starting to get goggles at age 3-4. So I would entirely believe it's possible for her to be gray and it not show around her eyes.

So I think you have a 50/50 chance of her being gray, how's that for a safe bet. :lol:

Anyway, she has the most beautiful markings on her rump and tail! I love her! :mrgreen:

#4 ·
Yay!! Congrats!
Posted via Mobile Device

#23 ·
Ok, now I am confused. You're a lot better at this color stuff than I am, so ....... :D How can mom be buckskin and grey? Doesn't buckskin=cremello + black gene + agouti? So, if Lastchancepocococo is grey, and dad is grey & mom is buckskin, then wouldn't the base color be bay or creme? Dad's grey (BB Blue Cowboy) & Dad's dad (Mr Bluejay Hancock) is grey with a Blue Roan sire and grey dam, Dad's dam is Poco Cowgirl who is shown as a dun. OK.....so now my head is spinnin' like a color wheel......OY!:?:shock:

#24 · (Edited)
Gray is like throwing an imaginary white blanket over a horse of any color...it covers over whatever the horse's base color is. Every gray horse has a base color before they went gray, but that base color can start out any color at all.

Buckskin is cream on bay (so yes black + agouti). A buckskin gone gray would be that plus gray.

And it is unfortunate that most pedigrees only tell us gray on a gray horse without the base color. Knowing the base color would be useful for knowing genetic possibilities. Without knowing the base color of the sire before he went gray we don't know what the color possibilities are for his offspring.

#28 ·
Taken at 6 days old, will get more today. Sorry they are poor quality, it was too dark out :( With "Gizmo" she is registered buckskin, that was her color in her baby pictures, The grey took over and made her look grey. When she sheds out there are still buck traits that make her color 100% unique. Ive never seen a horse like her. Have to cut down on horses though, hope I can just lease her out so I can get another foal from her later on. There is another odd looking color on "Grace" its on her belly, Ill try to get a picture of the spot in a bit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.