The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Talk (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/)
-   -   Would It Be Realistic? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/would-realistic-36498/)

Tennessee 09-21-2009 07:50 PM

Would It Be Realistic?

So, here's the deal. Next April I am going to be 16, and I am going to be working at a vet's office as an assistant/intern. I figure I won't be making much, but I am guaranteed more than minimum wage as soon as I start.

I am wanting my own horse. Right now my family owns 7, but they are my PARENTS horses, not mine. I want to purchase one of my own, and pay for everything for it myself. I have a little cash on me right now, and I already have four saddles that my parents bought me, a guaranteed place to keep them, halters, and all of that junk.

My question is, would it be realistic for me to be able to pay for things like vet bills, farrier(even though my uncle is the farrier and has SAID that he will do it for free, but I'm not sure how well that will go through), feed, hay, and all of that other stuff. I figure I will be drawing in about $300 a week at this vet, and I think they said I get a little extra if I help the vet when he travels to barns.

I have discussed this with my parents, and they have said that I have to do it all on my own, and that if I get this horse and if I start falling through with my responsibility and they have to start paying for things the horse will be gone.

I already have horses that I can ride. High Five, Smokey, and Tee are all my barrel racing horses, but like I said, they are really my PARENTS horses.

I don't know if any of this made sense, but I figured I would give it a try. :p

Spastic_Dove 09-21-2009 07:53 PM

I would just stick with the horses you have now.
At sixteen, it sucks to have to take full financial responsibility for a horse.

Jillyann 09-21-2009 07:54 PM

It definitely sounds realistic to me. I would just save up your first few pay checks, and maybe put some money away each week, like 50-100$ or something, so when, or if you ever do have an 'emergency', you will always have some money there. Does that make sense?

EDIT: I do agree when what Spastic has said, but if you play your cards right, it could work out.

Saskia 09-21-2009 08:56 PM

I think if you have $300 excess income its realistic.

But, now that you are working your parents may begin to charge you board and require you purchase your own food (lots of parents do that). Talk with them about this first, because if they do then your $300 looks like a lot less.

Remember to add in expenses like travel to and from the horse and work, I found that when I had a horse I was only paying $25 a week for agistment but was looking at $60-80 a week in petrol just going back and forth. Then there was food, farrier etc and it all adds up quickly.

I would also wait a month when you begin to work there, just so you can judge if you will be staying there and if you like it. You don't want to buy a horse in the first week then find that you hate the job, or that it didn't work out financially like you thought.

CheyAut 09-30-2009 07:47 AM

Is there a reason you feel you need your own, vs using the horses you already have available? I'm just curious, not saying it's bad or not! :)

When I turned 16 I got a job JUST so I could finally have a horse :) My dad had been paying for my lessons, so we worked out a deal that I paid half of board and took over paying for me lessons, he paid the other half of my board (1/2 of board was just slightly cheaper than the lessons, but that way if I was falling short I could skip a lesson... can't skip board!). I paid for everything else, but if there was an emergency or I was short on money he would help out. He bought the horse as my bday present (and 13 years later, I still have him!). When I was able to, I took over paying full board so that I was 100% responsible financially for Cheyenne, except that I still had my dad to fall back on if it was necessary (luckily it wasn't). So, if you are willing to work for it and not spend your money on things you don't need, it could be possible :)