The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Health (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/)
-   -   Needs to LOSE weight. (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/needs-lose-weight-36500/)

HorsesAreForever 09-21-2009 07:57 PM

Needs to LOSE weight.

Chance has been gaining way to much weight, shes being worked 1 1/2 -2hrs every other day. With at least one day off. Im asking my BO to lower her grain even MORE then it already is.

I believe she gets grained once in morning
then turned out, has hay all day
gets brought in a 5:30 for grain
hay fed at 9pm.

So Im asking my BO to lower her grain to just a little amount of Hay pellets just so she think she gets SOMETHING and doesnt throw a fit.
:lol::lol::lol:

Any suggestions on what to do!?

I mean im glad shes such an easy keeper now and not so under weight like she use to be when I first got her, but now theres to much!

ridergirl23 09-21-2009 10:35 PM

i have heard of special feed that helps horses lose weight but you feed it to them instead of grain so that they still get something :)

HorsesAreForever 09-22-2009 07:30 AM

I think its more of a hay belly then fat but would it still work 4 that

kim_angel 09-23-2009 05:11 AM

When Toby became way too fat I switched his food to a low starch pellet and gave him only a small amount. It also helped pick up his energy level and improve his attitude.

wild_spot 09-23-2009 06:02 AM

Is she on pasture as well as access to hay? If so, I would cut the hay, or make the hay her morning/evening feed and cut the grain. You can switch her grain to something like beet pulp, which is more akin to forage than grain. If she needs supplements/vits/mins, you can add them to a small amount of beet pulp.

ClassicalRomantic 09-23-2009 08:25 AM

Is she on pasture any? my mare was serverly obese when I brought her to GA and she was only out on pasture and got some hay here and there no feed. When I brought her to GA she was kept on a dry lot and still is and has lost a great deal of weight and is back to being happy and healthy again! you might want to get her tested to see if she is IR if so you will need to feed her a low starch feed and it actually wouldnt hurt to do that anyways if she is such an easy keeper! my girl is very much an easy keeper!

HorsesAreForever 09-23-2009 10:32 PM

She has access to small amounts of grass and round bales.

I usually hand graze her for like 5 mins after a work out for the reward.

I cant cut the hay intake really. I board so if I was to try and cut the hay intake I would have to put her in a small section alone which I dont think is fair.

Right now shes slowly getting cut down on the grain shes getting.
She was worked for 3 hrs today and hardly sweat just the saddle area thats it!?!? lmao

MyBoyPuck 09-23-2009 10:36 PM

Would she go nuts if you put a muzzle on her for part of the day, so she can't graze all day?

wild_spot 09-23-2009 10:53 PM

How intensive are your workouts?

HorsesAreForever 09-24-2009 05:35 PM

Id have to talk to my barn owner about it. But I dont think she would really approve of it. Plus Chance is turned out w.o a halter at the moment.

She gets walk, lots of trotting, and some cantering, trot poles, transitions. Starting with jumping again, yesterday she was jumped 2'6!

She hardly broke a sweat!

On ground shes worked w.t.c with lots of turns/trasitions and getting her energy up. She sweats a but there because we get into some galloping for fun but I dont feel safe quite yet doing that under saddle!

Shes 6 and green