The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Eventing (http://www.horseforum.com/eventing/)
-   -   Rocky's first ever 3-phase! (http://www.horseforum.com/eventing/rockys-first-ever-3-phase-36516/)

EventingIsLovee 09-21-2009 11:13 PM

Rocky's first ever 3-phase!

This was Rocky and I, riding at Groton Pony Club, elementary, in April this year. This is Rocky's first year showing, and this is his first 3-phase event! We have both improved DRAMATICLY together, at the same pace. We are schooling 3' fences, 2'9"courses, and competing at the Beginner Novice level now. Hopefully we can do Novice later in the year of next year. Our first sanctioned event is September 27th at Stoneleigh Burnham. Tell me what you all think!

Saskia 09-22-2009 04:48 AM

So I watched your jumping, these are my tips - so yeah just my opinion.

First, in the practice ring you looked left behind a little, but not only that you are a collapser - someone who collapses after the jump. Work on spending lots of time just cantering across open fields etc in your two point position. You should maintaining your position independently from your horses movement.

Jump ring - it was good that when you turned away to reaproach your jump that you turned a different way the second time. My personal opinion is that trotting has no place in a jump ring. Jumps are not measured for trotting strides and the act of a jump is more like an extra canter stride than trot. For this reason I don't use trot at all in the ring. I train my horses walk to canter and I think all show jumping horses should know that. When you turn away you should ask your horse immediately for a canter and really drive him on. Three strides away I could tell your horse was going to refuse. You need an active canter which you did not have. Also, in that position I might not have turned away - the jump is low enough to jump from halt or to walk over - and by Australian rules (not sure about yours) its only counted as a refusal if your horse steps back. Turning away gives a win to the horse.

Also - riding around in your two point seat. Why? On that horse especially you need your seat. Your seat is basically your number one driving aid. It helps you collect your horse, drive your horse - heaps and you are just giving it away. There is not practical reason to ride in that seat in a show jumping ring besides looks.

You really need to work on the quality of the canter. You are not going for long and low and relaxed - you are going for a reasonably short active canter, with the horses head up and ready to go. Also, when you circle away from jumps after refusals your circles are huge. I know not all rounds are for speed (generally they are though in a ODE) so you want small circles.

Give with your hands, I couldn't see perfectly but I don't think you are giving enough with your hands at all, they don't seem to move, bend your elbows more. Your horse is too long and flat, and it jumping thats not going to work. Lift your hands up a little and bend your elbows - when I used to lift up my whole horse would lift up. You just look a bit jammed up in the arm.

To me he doesn't look like he is accepting the contact, in a lot of shots it seemed he was leaning against it. When you pull up he opens his mouth - are you using a correct bit for him? Contact does not mean leaning.

Good for pushing him over that jump in the XC. Again, impulsion is needed.

First event that was pretty good, I think once you get him moving forward more he will be bolder and less refuse-y. Maybe shorten your stirrups a hole?

Hope you had heaps of fun! :)

EventingIsLovee 09-22-2009 05:34 PM

We've improved a lot since then

I couldn't agree with you any more on that, but this show was early in May this year, so almost everything you said here has already been corrected over the summer. I don't collapse anymore- that was a problem conducted by the pony I used to ride. I use my seat and hands better, Rocky is a lot less flat now. I canter into the course every time instead of trot, this was only because it was his first show. He has never refused a jump after that show. His canter is a lot better now-- flat work has helped a ton. Also the only reason I didn't walk over that jump is because I don't want to teach my horse that it's okay to just be able to stop in front of a jump every time and be able to get away with it because we are now schooling 3' and he won't be able to do that. Rocky was also very nervous in this show, so he didn't preform as well as he does at home. But he has settled down and is getting quite used to the showing atmosphere. We're doing our 6th show this season on the 27th this month, it's a sanctioned event and I'm very excited! Also we have two more shows in October, so we're getting ready! Thank you for replying to my post, everything you said makes sense to me. I just wanted to clear those things up a little!

IheartPheobe 09-22-2009 08:22 PM

You guys look good, he's sooo gorgeous.
Is that Hoofprints In The Sand & her mare, Sandie in the backround?!

EventingIsLovee 09-22-2009 09:11 PM

Thanks! Again this was awhile ago and we've improved insane amounts since then haha, and I actually have no idea who that is in the background. You mean the buckskin horse right?

MyBoyPuck 09-23-2009 07:49 PM

The only thing that jumped out at me in the first video is your hands at the trot. Your horse looks like he wants to soften to the bit, but your hands are not consistent. Your elbows are locked or stiff and the reins are moving up and down with each stride. I know you said you've worked all that stuff out, but these are the videos we have to go on.

Phoebe, I think HITS is in Ohio somewhere. Looks like this show was in NH. Would be funny though.

IheartPheobe 09-24-2009 10:03 PM

yeh, I did. Stef says it's not them, but if you look @ any of her pics it does look EXACTLY like Sandie!

dreamrideredc 09-24-2009 10:11 PM

your boy is soo gorgeous! =D this may sound weird but I really like how you post...that sounds weird lol but it seems fluid and not forced you know? that prob. doesnt make sense but it does in my mind! :wink:

EventingIsLovee 09-29-2009 08:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dreamrideredc (Post 411086)
this may sound weird but I really like how you post...that sounds weird lol but it seems fluid and not forced you know?

Yeah i know what you mean haha I've had a lot of trotting work when I was a beginner and it was really stressed about being on the correct diagonal and how i post- hips to hands, not too high, not too low. And it all made a difference in the long run!