The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Health (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/)
-   -   Leg Sprain - Should I say something? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/leg-sprain-should-i-say-something-36529/)

starlinestables 09-21-2009 11:39 PM

Leg Sprain - Should I say something?

A horse at my barn injured his fetlock running around like an idiot when I turned him out. I noticed his head bobbing 10 minutes after I turned him out. The next morning he was reluctant to walk and his fetlock was a little bit swollen with some heat.

I notified the owner and gave bute. The owner didn't come out till almost 9 pm that night..Luckily, he was walking on it a little better by that evening. I left her horse in and was sweeping up when she came in. She breifly looks at it and then starts grooming him.:shock:

I told her that I had standing wraps and a dmso/furazone mix she could use to wrap him up. She said thanks and picked out his feet. She didn't even cold hose his leg..

Am I being weird? What is my responsibility as the barn owner? Obviously gaping open wounds there would be no question.. I would take care of it even if she didn't but there is kind of a grey area with lameness... If it were my horse I would bute 2x a day for 3 or 4 days cold hose AT LEAST once a day if not twice and apply a dmso/furazone sweat with a few days complete stall rest and then increase his turn out but keep him wrapped at least a week.

Is doing nothing an acceptable option?

PiggyPablo 09-22-2009 01:16 AM

I believe you did the right thing. You should suggest to her that she have a vet come out and do an ultra sound to see if there's anything up.

Spastic_Dove 09-22-2009 01:24 AM

I think you did what you need to. Is the horse still obviously lame? I usually let mine try and sort it out for a few days before I call the vet (unless its something horrible). Yeah, I will cold hose and try and keep him comfortable in the meantime and I wouldn't ride obviously, but I wouldnt be calling for ultrasounds.

PiggyPablo 09-22-2009 01:28 AM

The reason I suggested an ultrasound is because this same thing happened to my horse years ago and I had to follow through with the same treatment and it was nice to know what we were exactly dealing with. In his case, it was a bowed tendon. The ultra sounds were very helpful and we were able to pinpoint what was going on.

Spastic_Dove 09-22-2009 01:32 AM

That makes sense, I'm just saying I wouldn't be doing that right away. I'd probably just monitor it. Usually, they tend to work it out themselves. As long as you keep an eye on it and keep them comfortable, they tend to be okay.
Hopefully, the owner is keeping an eye on it and not just disregarding it.

starlinestables 09-22-2009 02:27 AM

I wasnt even expecting her to call the vet! Its not like his ankle is HUGE.. But I would do everything I could to control swelling and further damage as well as make him comfortable. She didn't do crap! Didn't leave me any bute... directions.. nadda!