The Horse Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Confo/Critique question

834 views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  Honeysuga 
#1 ·
How in the world do you guys get your horses squared up for a great confo pic? Ive tried and mine just will NOT! and also hes and arabian and all these arabians I see hold there heads proud with the nice arch in the neck.. cant get him to do that.. what can i do to take decent pics of my horse? no noises feed or anything.. he doesnt care..:shock:

#2 ·
I taught Denny to ground tie and know that "stand" means "DO NOT MOVE." It takes patience and depending on the horse, quite a few sessions, and you absolutely have to be consistent.
Stand him up, and say whoa. When he moves, you can do one of two things:
1) move him into his original position and say "whoa" again. Rinse and repeat every time he moves
2) back him up 10-15 paces HARD each time he moves. This makes him think that moving=hard work, so it's just easier to stand still.
Now, at first you don't want to expect him to stand too long, but make sure moving is YOUR idea, not his.
After a while, you get this:

(on a lunge line just for safety sake)

#5 ·
Make sure he knows how to move from your commands, if you have to touch him hell move most of the time and you'll never get it straight, just lots of groundwork, and reinforcing those commands, teach him to move his feet on command, id ask some of our Aabian training members how to get the "proud" pose... Good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.