The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Eventing (http://www.horseforum.com/eventing/)
-   -   Safety Vests--I need one! (http://www.horseforum.com/eventing/safety-vests-i-need-one-36631/)

eventerwannabe 09-23-2009 06:12 PM

Safety Vests--I need one!

So I am thinking that im going to start doing one day events next summer. Bear hasnt really dont eventing before, and neither have I (hunters and dressage on my part). I know of a few places im going to start schooling, but I would like to have a vest before I start doing any solid XC jumps. I am looking for a cheap, but safe vest. I will buy a used one if you have it! I heard Intecs are pretty good and that they have a good price, is that true?

Thanks in advance! :)

MIEventer 09-23-2009 06:40 PM

Absolutely, Intec Flex Riders are not only certified through ASTM but also meets BETA level 3 safety standards.

This vest not only does the same as the expensive one's but it is cheaper. I have one and I love it.

Make sure the Intec Flex Rider that you are looking at is of a solid material. Not the one's designed the way Tipperary's are.

ENJOY!

MyBoyPuck 09-23-2009 06:40 PM

Intecs are cheap, but a lot of people complain that they are very bulky and stiff, so not much freedom of movement. Any vest is better than none I suppose, but that's the only downside I've heard on Intecs.

StormyBlues 09-23-2009 08:32 PM

I've heard only good things about Rohdney Powell Vests. I am planning on getting one before the next season starts. Tipps are not certified, but I'm using one for now, until I get my RP. I would go with a cheap, certified vest. And a trainer. ;) I wouldn't venture out on a XC course without one! Good luck and keep us posted!

Saskia 09-23-2009 09:01 PM

Ensure that you try it on first and move about. Many safety vests IMO are very uncomfortable and make it difficult to ride. I think its worth spending at extra hundred or more dollars and getting one that you can move in, and thats comfortable. I once had one (we bough of a friend) and it restricted my movement and I felt unsafe because of this, so I just never wore it.

MyBoyPuck 09-23-2009 10:15 PM

I'm really hoping someone has the Rodney Powell vest at the Equine Affair in November. I'd love to try that one on. Looks like it's well worth the $$.

Pinto Pony 09-24-2009 01:41 PM

Make sure you sit in a saddle while trying it on. I found that even on the highest shoulder setting some vests would go so low on my back that they hit the saddle! Very annoying, so make sure you sit in a saddle before you buy ;)

kitten_Val 09-24-2009 01:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by StormyBlues (Post 410328)
I've heard only good things about Rohdney Powell Vests. I am planning on getting one before the next season starts. Tipps are not certified, but I'm using one for now, until I get my RP. I would go with a cheap, certified vest. And a trainer. ;) I wouldn't venture out on a XC course without one! Good luck and keep us posted!

Stormy, I though you were talking about getting one like 2 months back in different thread! :wink: I'm really curious to hear the opinions. I was looking in all local tack stores, but neither carry them.. :-|

StormyBlues 09-24-2009 02:02 PM

^I was, school has eaten my life and I havn't had much time to look at getting one yet

eventerdrew 09-24-2009 05:36 PM

I own a Tipperary... BLEH! Don't get one.

Rodney Powells are awesome but expensive. I'm saving up for one