The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Training (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/)
-   -   To Body Clip or Not to Body Clip Befor a Show? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/body-clip-not-body-clip-befor-36643/)

jmbullard82 09-23-2009 10:06 PM

To Body Clip or Not to Body Clip Befor a Show?

Have a show in 2 weeks... This sorrel fillys hair is starting to get a little thick and about a quarter inch long. I have time to body clip it and it grow out but i'm not sure if i want to. it's shinning but it's thick. What would yall do????

I know what i'm going to do but I wanted to put this senario out here and get other peoples opinions..........
Thanks for reading.....:wink:

MacabreMikolaj 09-23-2009 10:10 PM

If it's looking good, I wouldn't clip. That natural lustre is really hard to get back when you clip, especially so soon to the show. I'd definately make sure she's trimmed up, whiskers, jowl hair, belly hair, etc. but I'd personally leave the coat alone. Body clipping tends to create a very dull and different shade of color, and nothing is more eye catching then the brilliant shine on a natural coat.

But that's my opinion, I don't show, but I'd think a judge would prefer a neat turn out with natural shine to a dull looking buzzed coat?

jmbullard82 09-23-2009 10:15 PM

so... your saying you would just clip the underside of the entire belly, forlocks, jowls, ears, head???

Sparkles 09-23-2009 10:31 PM

I would rather shave them, when we show all of our young ones in hand we always make sure their hair is neat and tidy. Never clip just one part, like the belly hair, if you're going to do it, do it all. The judges around here would rather see the horse's build (we show Hunter In Hand on the A rated circuit) then worry about how shiny the horse's coat is, usually by 2 weeks time it's at a fine length. I do not know what you are showing or on what level but that's my opinion, you you would rather not body clip then just make sure the ears/muzzle/and those long eye hairs are shaved.

AlmagroN 09-24-2009 07:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sparkles (Post 410429)
I do not know what you are showing or on what level but that's my opinion, you you would rather not body clip then just make sure the ears/muzzle/and those long eye hairs are shaved.

actually ive heard that you dont have to remove the long eye hairs as horses use those in the dark to help them. ive heard judges respect that because it shows respect for your horse. but thats just what i have heard, i dont show. but my mare has long eyehairs and i refuse to cut them.

anyway as far as body clipping goes, i hate it. i think it looks horrible. it makes them look dull and dirty. but thats just my opinion, and i dont show.

weefoal 09-24-2009 03:53 PM

I would do a full body clip. Like it or not that is horse showing. I have had 2 horses over the years that did not have to be body clipped as they stayed slick and beautiful but it takes lots of brushing. But those 2 were rare and especially this time of year I would clip. Showing costs a lot of money and time so you might as well give yourself the best chance at winning

Sparkles 09-24-2009 06:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AlmagroN (Post 410566)
actually ive heard that you dont have to remove the long eye hairs as horses use those in the dark to help them. ive heard judges respect that because it shows respect for your horse. but thats just what i have heard, i dont show. but my mare has long eyehairs and i refuse to cut them.

Not completely true, if you're showing a high circuit there should not be a hair out of place or sticking out. I don't know her level, but i always make sure my horse's are always clipped and look their best when i'm showing.

MacabreMikolaj 09-24-2009 06:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jmbullard82 (Post 410404)
so... your saying you would just clip the underside of the entire belly, forlocks, jowls, ears, head???

Where did I say clip? I said trim her up. If she has long belly hairs, trim them so they're not visible. Remove the whiskers, trim the inside of the ears, get rid of any excessive jowl hair, etc. Big difference.

CheyAut 09-29-2009 08:16 AM

What breed, and what type of shows?