The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Training (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/)
-   -   Building muscle (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/building-muscle-36655/)

Brumby 09-24-2009 06:33 AM

Building muscle

What is a good exercising program for horses to build up endurance and muscle? Should I lunge at a trot? If so for how long. I just want some ideas to build her up to get in better shape. She already has plenty of weight I am just looking for muscle. What is your exercising program. How to I put weight on her back when I lung her?

ChingazMyBoy 09-24-2009 06:46 AM

I've always heard trotting on a lunge helps alot. But 20 minutes on the lunge is the same as one hour of riding.

Fire Eyes 09-24-2009 07:02 AM

Muscle, trotting up and down hills is the best.

PaintHorseMares 09-24-2009 08:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fire Eyes (Post 410557)
Muscle, trotting up and down hills is the best.

Yup...any hill work is fantastic. We trot and lope our mares up the hills in the fields and they love it. It's certainly more interesting than lunging, it works up a sweat in no time, and really works the legs.

wild_spot 09-24-2009 08:43 PM

Yup, hillwork is amazing. I find long-trotting up hills is the best for building muscles and fitness.

QHDragon 09-26-2009 10:16 AM

What about those of us that don't have hills? (I live in the flattest part of michigan imaginable)

justsambam08 09-28-2009 12:18 AM

I'd like to know some muscle building excersises for flat land also. FL is notoriously flat...I think the highest things we have in my neck of the woods are the speed bumps....I already lunge him, but is there anything I can do under saddle?

wild_spot 09-28-2009 01:55 AM

Long-trotting by itself is still pretty effective. I like to just drop the reins and let my horse extend as much as he can, and carry on as long as he can.

other things that work... A lot of transitions. Working on the harder transitions as well, such as walk/canter or canter/walk.