The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Eventing (http://www.horseforum.com/eventing/)
-   -   Monoflap Saddle Reviews! (http://www.horseforum.com/eventing/monoflap-saddle-reviews-366570/)

NelBell 02-18-2014 09:27 PM

Monoflap Saddle Reviews!

I'm looking to invest in a monoflap jump saddle for eventing. I just want to know what people think is the best brands, and maybe specifically the Pessoa Legacy Monoflap Event Saddle, Wise Air XC-Show Jumping saddles (both the reg. And the elite) and M. Toulouse Marielle +4 Monoflap Saddle? I need a saddle with an adjustable tree since I'm riding/competing several different horses if that makes a difference. Thanks!

picup436 02-18-2014 11:23 PM

I like the mono flap styled saddles, offers a little bit closer contact. To be honest though, depending on how different shaped the horses you are competing, 1 saddle probably won't do the job for you. If they are all fairly similar in back shape, then you would be better off using different styles of padding under the saddle rather than altering the saddle all the time. I would be concerned about the constant alteration of the saddle affecting the strength of the tree.

DuckDodgers 02-18-2014 11:27 PM

Curiosity here- other than the "close contact feel", what's the appeal with monoflap saddles? I don't find most of most to be particularly attractive and don't find that one less piece of leather makes THAT much of a difference in the feel- so why are they so popular nowadays? Looks? Feel? Lack of cleaning under another flap?

I know that different people like different things, but what exactly does everyone like about them that makes them so popular?!

picup436 02-18-2014 11:39 PM

I find them easier for me to get my leg around some of the bigger horses I've had to ride. I'm short (5'3") but my proportions are out of whack, I've got really short legs. The girth is added bulk under my leg and with the monoflap, which has long points and therefore a short girth, I don't have that extra bulk to try and get my short little legs around :)

DuckDodgers 02-18-2014 11:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by picup436 (Post 4795882)
I find them easier for me to get my leg around some of the bigger horses I've had to ride. I'm short (5'3") but my proportions are out of whack, I've got really short legs. The girth is added bulk under my leg and with the monoflap, which has long points and therefore a short girth, I don't have that extra bulk to try and get my short little legs around :)

Yeah, I guess the billet length does make a difference with some saddles... I'm a dressage person mostly, so the billet length wouldn't make much of a difference to me :P

JustDressageIt 02-19-2014 01:30 AM

I adored riding in my friend's DK Monoflap. Can't wait till my filly's done growing so I can settle on a saddle!

Strange 02-19-2014 04:08 PM

I absolutely love monoflap saddles for both jumping and dressage. I competed for quite a while in an older model Antares monoflap and it was wonderful. I don't know the exact model as the saddle is about 12-15 years old, but it held up beautifully and was so incredibly comfortable. I've also ridden a bit in the Dutton Wisair monoflap and really liked it a lot as well. It was lightweight, comfortable and I love the way it fit the horse.

I also really like Black Country monoflaps and have ridden a bit in one of their monoflap dressage saddles.

EdmontonHorseGal 02-19-2014 05:03 PM

while i have never had personal experience riding in a monoflap, i have always wondered about billet repairs on them. wouldn't it be more difficult and more pricey if a billet should break and you have to repair/replace it? you'd have to open up that monoflap to get at the area you need to repair. wouldn't the monoflap also make it more difficult to see if your billets have any damage to them under the flap area? i'd be worried if i couldn't visually assess the whole billet area every time i rode. just something i've always thought about.

SaraM 02-22-2014 10:02 PM

I have a HDR dressage monoflap, and regarding ducks question, I think it is noticeably closer feeling. Mine has pretty big knee rolls, and I feel like my leg is much tighter and slimmer to the horse than in my standard two flap dressage saddle. It really feels closer to bareback from my knees down.

And Edmonton, my billets are attached to the underside, the more forward one attaching halfway down near the knee roll and the back billet attaching under the seat like normal. Like this, but mine does not have that 'sleeve' over the top of the billets.
monoflap dressage saddle - Bing Images

So you can visually inspect them, but I use a slightly thicker pad to make sure they don't pull against my horse's back weird, he seems content and doesn't work differently (well, he works better because I ride better!).