The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Grooming (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-grooming/)
-   -   washing brushes and halters (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-grooming/washing-brushes-halters-36685/)

trIplEcrOwngIrl 09-24-2009 06:43 PM

washing brushes and halters

Hello!! My mini's dumped out my grooming bag and so since the brushes needed washing anyway, i figured I'd go ahead and rinse them off. Just use water right?? How about the halters and lead ropes??
thanks for answeriing my dumb question,
IIIcrngrl

moomoo 09-24-2009 06:58 PM

Throw 'em in the washing machine :D

Jessabel 09-24-2009 10:22 PM

I soaked my halters and leads in a bucket of water and Pine Sol. XDD It worked pretty good. It did that with my brushes, only I think I used dish soap.

I didn't know you could put halters in the washing machine...

dreamrideredc 09-24-2009 11:24 PM

yep, you can put halters in washing machines =]

o0hawaiigirl0o 09-25-2009 01:27 AM

I wash my brushes with horse shampoo. =P Be careful if you have hair brushes. they aren't supposed to get too wet.

Nylon halters and leads can be washed in the washer or by hand. I put mine in pillow cases first so the metal parts don't bang aganist the sides. It's best to let them hang dry.

riccil0ve 09-25-2009 11:58 AM

For brushes, I just spray them. Halters and leads go in the washing machine, just not the dryer. I also make sure to unbuckle all the buckles on the halters. =]

Vidaloco 09-25-2009 12:09 PM

I wash mine in horse shampoo as well. I saw some wash specifically for horse brushes but I'm sure its basically just soap :lol:
You could probably add a cap full of Clorox for disinfecting if need be.

WSArabians 09-25-2009 03:52 PM

Dawn soap works great, too. Doesn't bother the horses. :)

nldiaz66 09-26-2009 11:04 AM

I throw all my brushes in a bucket with water and some bleach and let soak, I also do the same thing for the halters and lead ropes but I dont use bleach, just laundry soap and let soak they came really clean. I wouldnt put them in the washer inless maybe they are in a pillow case like mentioned above or throw some towels in with them, the buckles are not good hitting the tub of the washer, will really beat it up.(my husband works on washers/dryers)

M2twisted 09-26-2009 11:48 AM

they make stuff that you can soak your brushes in, it's specially designed for horse brushes. it wasn't expensive either and it did a pretty good job! i think they sell it at doversaddlery.com
i susally just soak my halters and leads with organic gentle soap.