The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Boarding (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-boarding/)
-   -   troubles at boarding barn (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-boarding/troubles-boarding-barn-368378/)

Aigoo 02-21-2014 10:39 PM

troubles at boarding barn

water issues in the barn was one big issue, but new problem appeared.

The full care boarders' horses have been losing weight. The owner didn't feed them at all due to the feed bag amount have been the same for weeks. They are begging me to feed their horses until they move out. I am a self-care so I go to the farm 2x a day to feed my horses.

I am not sure if it is alright for me to feed them. Would the owner do something if i use the feed room and stalls to feed the horses. Even tough the owners paid for the feed and stalls.

Feeding them isn't hassle thing to do for me since I love horses. I want them to eat at least before they leave. They don't even have any hay.... the field is filled with snow and mud.

Would you go ahead feed them, or it is not a good idea since there will be issues if the owner caught me?

waresbear 02-21-2014 10:43 PM

Yes, if the feed is there, I wouldn't let the horses starve. The owners of the horses boarded there has begged YOU to feed their horses?? They should be all over the person they PAID to feed them. However, you all moving out soon, it's best just to feed the hungry horses and get of out Dodge as soon as possible. What is wrong with some people????

Aigoo 02-21-2014 10:47 PM

The person who own the farm don't live on site, and she is out of reach. All of us cannot contact her at all. I am moving out on March 1st. The 3 horses out of 5 horses will move this Sunday. The 2 horses' owner is out of reach too. I am not sure what to do with those two. I hope I can reach the owner.

The two owners of 3 horses begged me since they have college and part-time job, so they never had time to stop by the farm during week. They only visit them on Sundays. I can't blame them since they paid for full care expecting the full care since they cannot take care of their horses due to their plans.

The owner just found out that she have cancer a month ago. I guess she is somewhere in bar drowning in depression.

SlideStop 02-21-2014 11:06 PM

I'm confused is it only grain she sing giving them? As long as they are receiving adequate amount of hay they should be fine, unless they need grain for a special reason.
Posted via Mobile Device

Amba1027 02-21-2014 11:11 PM

She said in the first post that they aren't getting hay either.

I would feed them and deal with the possible consequences later.

SlideStop 02-21-2014 11:22 PM

My bad... I see it now.

Feed those horses and get the hell out of there ASAP!!
Posted via Mobile Device

Chasin Ponies 02-22-2014 11:56 AM

Glad that you are getting out of there!! But...what about the horses left behind? I would call the humane society and the sheriff's department after you leave. Our county humane society does very little but our sheriff's department has a mounted patrol and when they send one of the deputies out the abusers and neglecters get prosecuted!!
This is exactly why I will never board "full care" again. Have been in several situations like this (and worse) at full care facilities and no longer trust anyone with the care of my horses.

princessfluffybritches 02-28-2014 04:48 PM

I was at a place where my horse lost weight. After 8 months of excuses about my horse causing this herself, I hung the key up on the stall one day and left. The next place was great.

Aigoo 02-28-2014 09:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chasin Ponies (Post 4819522)
But...what about the horses left behind? I would call the humane society and the sheriff's department after you leave. Our county humane society does very little but our sheriff's department has a mounted patrol and when they send one of the deputies out the abusers and neglecters get prosecuted!!
This is exactly why I will never board "full care" again. Have been in several situations like this (and worse) at full care facilities and no longer trust anyone with the care of my horses.

The ones that left behind just moved out. I finally reached the owner; she freaked out big time. She agreed with the barn owner to take care of them for 3 months since they moved to other state. They wanted time to settle down before bringing the horses. I guess it was a mistake. It is over now though.

I know "full care" isn't best way, but it is owner's responsibility to keep track of horse' weight and mood to see if s/he is happy or not. I have moved for 14 times due to bad care/money issues.... I would rather to move quickly than letting horses suffer.

I seriously hate to see those horses in boarding stable whose owners never visit at all due to job, school, kids, and etc. If they don't have time for their horses, then why get a horse? I think it is not hard to surrender few hours a week to check up on horse.

DuckDodgers 03-01-2014 12:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chasin Ponies (Post 4819522)
Glad that you are getting out of there!! But...what about the horses left behind? I would call the humane society and the sheriff's department after you leave. Our county humane society does very little but our sheriff's department has a mounted patrol and when they send one of the deputies out the abusers and neglecters get prosecuted!!

Whenever I read posts about this I have to wonder what folks expect people that are in work/school full time to do about their horses... :-| I'd be all over caring for my horse completely if it was at all logistically possible for me!

You need to move your horse asap, and the other horse owners do too. Regardless of whether or not there are many other options in the area, this place is NOT an option. Sorry, unless the barn manager is unconscious somewhere I have zero tolerance for neglecting these animals in this way. Regardless of her medical condition, other arrangements should be made instead of leaving the horses to starve. I would contact whatever law enforcement or animal control facilities are around. The boarders are paying for this lady to provide them a service that they aren't receiving, and the animals are suffering.