The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Hobbies (http://www.horseforum.com/hobbies/)
-   -   I need more time. (http://www.horseforum.com/hobbies/i-need-more-time-36909/)

cheply 09-28-2009 04:56 AM

I need more time.

So I've recently discovered the joys of fulfilling childhood wants in my adult life!
Horseback riding was one of those... Always wanted to do it.. parents would never pay.. I now have a life of my own and I'm doing it! YAY. So thats all fine and dandy

But I want more! I want to do ballet!

But I go to art school full time and believe you me art is an intense time consuming thing to study! and I work 4 days a week when I'm not in school or horse back riding or tending to my boyfriend who has recently decided that I am never home enough anymore :oops:

But **** its so cheap! I can totally afford it and horse back riding! GOD I WISH I HAD NOT GONE TO SCHOOL THIS YEAR. Theres so many things I want to do.. and school is absolutely the last place on my list of places to be.

Can I do it all? I don't know -- will I try? Hell Yes.

iridehorses 09-28-2009 06:48 AM

Sounds like an early "bucket list"!!! Be careful you don't get diminishing returns on your time investment. Savor the time and go slow or you run the risk of doing but not enjoying and not doing well at anything. (The fatherly advise comes out every now and then).

NorthernMama 09-28-2009 08:23 AM

Cheply, I completely agree. There just isn't enough time to do everything right NOW, but I live for the future and that keeps me optimistic. I WILL learn to paint, I WILL get my pilot's license, I WILL spend more time with my horses, I WILL spend more time with my family, I WILL travel locally more, I WILL do all these things, but they take time... There are very few things, if any, that won't still be there next year to be done. Family time is most important when available because everyone's life/schedule changes; when you can get together it's important to take advantage of it. Other than that -- ballet will still be there next year. Don't overdo it, but I firmly believe in living life to the fullest!

Amba1027 09-28-2009 09:52 AM

One of my childhood dreams was to be a ballerina. I figured I would never get around to actually taking lessons (plus I felt it might be wasted since I no longer have any desire to actually BE a ballerina) so I just went on ebay and bought some pointe shoes. I put them on from time to time and mess around. That's how I fulfilled that childhood dream. I figured this is cheaper and more fun than actually taking lessons. Maybe you could do that until you have time for the lessons?

AppyLover615 09-28-2009 01:17 PM

Unfortuately, I'm in a similar but opposite boat from you in a way (sounds confusing lol). I want to ride so bad and go to dog training classes with my dog and Have a social life etc. My parents spoiled me, but I never got to do activities I wanted to do cus of money etc. like your parents. But even though I definitely have the time to do all of this now, I don't have the money to do any of this. I am in school and don't have a job. I do feel regretful that I seem to be letting all this time go by me and I don't know how to make the things I want a part of my life. It's totally an unsatisfying feeling isn't it? :)

I guess all in all I TOTALLY get the "adult wanting" and I feel for you too. But hey! who says you can't take ballet lessons whenever a time slot frees up for you?

~AL615

cheply 09-29-2009 04:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Amba1027 (Post 413769)
One of my childhood dreams was to be a ballerina. I figured I would never get around to actually taking lessons (plus I felt it might be wasted since I no longer have any desire to actually BE a ballerina) so I just went on ebay and bought some pointe shoes. I put them on from time to time and mess around. That's how I fulfilled that childhood dream. I figured this is cheaper and more fun than actually taking lessons. Maybe you could do that until you have time for the lessons?

Haha, I was going to do the same thing... I've been looking at pointe shoes on ebay for a long time.. it only just recently occurred to me that maybe I'd like to know how to use them.. especially after reading that if you use them and don't know how you can snap an ankle.

My2Geldings 09-29-2009 10:50 PM

Oh gosh never regret having gone to school. Education is by far the most important thing you could ever do for yourself :lol:
As for ballet, I totally understand what you mean of it being cheap. I sold my baby horse a few months ago now and now don't have any of the expenses of horse ownership and I won't lie, it has opened up a brand new side of life I had never seen before. I was also looking at dance. It's funny how many things you want to do when you can finally afford to do it :lol:

Good Luck finding the time tho :lol:

cheply 09-30-2009 03:41 AM

Yeah school was great last year... but I was doing first year geography.
Now I've switched to art and am in first year all over again and I feel as if I'm stuck and going no where.. and wasting all my student loans.

I wanna do animation (I think??) and I don't even need an art diploma to do animation courses so I feel even more like I am wasting time.

But I know in the end it will be good to get some general training.... I just wish I'd done it next year instead!

Saskia 09-30-2009 03:51 AM

I did everything when I was a kid. Gymnastics, dance, calisthenics, ceramics, drama, ballet, Tae Kwon Do, soccer, T-Ball, clarinet etc. Then when I was about 7 or 8 I tried horse riding for a term. And then another and another and then I became a horse rider.

Although i'm not one of those people who do things for fun. I know that sounds strange but I want a reason to do things. Like I study (barely) for the future and when I horse rode it was because I wanted to be the best, and I believed I could. Even if I don't end up there I have to try. I have to be going somewhere.

Now...I'd like to learn violin, maybe guitar, and learn German, Spanish, Swedish and Russian. I lack the dedication to learn things like this, that require repetitive learning - its probably why I want to learn them, because I feel I can't.

I think people should always be learning new things. Like if you work, each semester or something take a different class or two. Things you have always wanted to learn or know. Its the only way you can ever really discover what you want to do.

And you should do ballet classes.

Amba1027 09-30-2009 09:23 AM

The pointe shoes are pretty easy to use. I never messed up my ankles so I think you should be ok lol. They are pretty killer on your toes though. I even got little pads to go over your toes to help cushion them but it still hurts after awhile.

I feel like I've wasted time and money on school sometimes too. I was in art school first but after 2 years I figured out that it wasn't what I wanted to be doing. I still didn't know what I DID want to do so I switched to general studies. I'm in my third semester of doing that and I finally figured out what I want to do. I'm kind of mad that it took me so long to figure it out. I'm supposed to be in my last year of college but instead of almost being done I'm back at the beginning. BUT, I don't think I was ready before, to take on the responsibility of moving out and having to deal with school on my own. Now I believe I am ready. I wish I had been ready earlier but that's life I guess. Things have a way of working themselves out for the best.