The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Tack and Equipment (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/)
-   -   Will a thinline halfpad be good for my horse? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/will-thinline-halfpad-good-my-horse-36967/)

malinamm 09-28-2009 10:51 PM

Will a thinline halfpad be good for my horse?

Does anyone have experience with a thinline halfpad and can tell me their opinion on it?
My horse is sometimes very heavy on the forehand, I know that it has nothing to do with the saddle or the pad. We have been doing tons of work to get her hindquarters engaged and she is doing much better. I'm wondering if she would benefit from a thinline half pad at all. (I'm not expecting it to keep her off her forehand, just maybe make her a bit more comfortable)

kitten_Val 09-29-2009 10:10 AM

I got one to try couple weeks back. Mostly because just a square pad wasn't enough and standard fleece half pad was way too much. I think it works for me. The only thing I'd advise is to go with the "standard" one, not "ultra" (which is too thin IMO). I got this one:

Thinline Contour Pad Thinline (Equine - Horse Tack Supplies - English Horse Tack - Pads Girths)

upnover 09-29-2009 11:54 PM

I just got one and have been using it for a few weeks. Honestly I can't tell much of a difference between it and the fleeceworks pad I had been using (other then the fact that it will last much much longer). It's not going to "fix" your horse's way of going and I don't think it's enough to really help a horse with a sore back (although I could be wrong, none of the horses I ride have sore backs) I think it makes it a little more comfortable for the horse's back but that's about it. I think I read about how it absorbs shock and helps the rider be more quiet of a rider? yeah, haven't noticed that! Basically, it's a fancy half pad that will hopefully last a long time.

wild_spot 09-30-2009 12:12 AM

Yes, yes, and yes.

I bought the Thinline pad that has cotton under it as well... Can't think of the name.

Seriously, it has made such a difference for my horse. He had some pretty bad issues with back sorness, due to being ridden in a badly fitted saddle and with an overweight rider for about 3 years. :twisted:. I got a saddle custom made, got him chrio'd etc, and bought this pad.

I love it. He is moving more freely, and is basically just more comfortable.

I'm thinking about getting one for my other horse, just because I think ti would make him happier.

I say go for it.

kitten_Val 09-30-2009 10:24 AM

Oh, yes I agree the pad won't change "heavy on forehead" issue: for that you need to work with her (like transition, poles, etc.) There are no miracle devices to help with things like that. :D But I noticed it doesn't slip as much around, give a better fit to my saddle, and I really think give the better protection to the horse if you are bouncy.

luvs2ride1979 09-30-2009 11:02 AM

I use ThinLine saddle pads with some of my saddles. They are great pads. (the cotton one is the Trifecta)

I also use Skito saddle pads. I really like them as well. They are better for saddle fit issues or horses lacking muscle, as the foam fills in better and you can add shims.

mudypony 09-30-2009 08:52 PM

I love my Thinline pads! I have the Thinline Trifecta Pad (ultra) and the normal Ultra Thinline pad (got for $10 at a used tack store) and love them both. I have severe back pain and ride an extremely bouncy TB which does not help with pain and the Thinline pads definately help with pain. They don't eliminate pain, but my pain is now tolerable since I started using the Thinline.

I've also noticed a great improvement in my horse. He is much more relaxed. He is also more willing to work in a frame. I agree that a Thinline pad will not help with your horse being on the forehand as that can only be fixed by correct training, as mentioned above.

I would love to try a regular Thinline pad, but have not had the chance before. Although my next big saddle pad purchase will definately be a regular Thinline pad.

malinamm 10-01-2009 03:11 PM

Thanks guys, I bought the regular thinline half pad, we'll see how it goes once it gets here!