The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horses for Sale (http://www.horseforum.com/horses-sale/)
-   -   leasing a horse, does price sound good? (http://www.horseforum.com/horses-sale/leasing-horse-does-price-sound-good-3702/)

Barbaro4evr 10-06-2007 05:10 AM

leasing a horse, does price sound good?

I was hoping someone could help me out. I have a good friend, who said she'll lease one of her horses to me, She said it would cost $150.00-$200.00 a month, that's including board, she's a 12 yr.old, Quarter horse mare, green broke. it would be rough board. I would be able to put money towards buying her, and meanwhile, see if she's right for me. I'm not worried about the greenbroke part, I have broken horses before. what I was wondering is, is that a good deal, it sounds like one to me, but I've never had anything to do with leaseing before. I live in the Gettysburg, Pennsylvania area, I don't know if that makes a difference.
If someone could help me out here, I'ld greatly appreciate it :!:

vicatta 10-06-2007 10:31 PM

are you saying you would have to pay additional money for board or not?

if you do, then it's not worth it. but if all you have to pay for is the 150-200/ month, then it's worth it.

just be sure to make sure you know how often you can ride per week. if you can only ride once or twice, i'd say... look for something else. if you can ride 3x a week, that's a great deal.

Barbaro4evr 10-07-2007 03:05 AM

yes, that price includes board, and also includes feed. but, as soon as my goats clear our woods, and I put the proper fence up, I'll be moving her to my house, And there isn't any time limit on riding, I can go every day, but, thats partly because I'm also going to be giving a little extra money, which goes towards buying her.

vicatta 10-07-2007 08:02 AM

then i'd say that that is an awesome price. you should go for it if you truly love that horse

Barbaro4evr 10-07-2007 12:35 PM

Yup, love her! I think I'm going to go for it! and as soon as my pythons give me a new clutch(litter) I will have the money to buy her in full( make like $3,500 at least, off of one clutch!

OhNoDakota 11-13-2007 04:53 PM

wow! Thats REALLY cheap compared where i am (tampa bay florida)
Partial board here alone is about $200 and that doesnt include feed or anything. just gives your horse a place to stay.
Full board here runs about $400 and that includes everything but the vet anf ferrier.
Leasing a horse here usually goes for about 400 dollars full lease (which i think is what you have?) and 200 doallrs partial lease.