The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Stallions and Broodmares (http://www.horseforum.com/stallions-broodmares/)
-   -   Vaginal Bleeding 6 Weeks Before Due Date? (http://www.horseforum.com/stallions-broodmares/vaginal-bleeding-6-weeks-before-due-371210/)

BlueSpark 02-27-2014 10:18 PM

Vaginal Bleeding 6 Weeks Before Due Date?

I know mares don't really have a due date. She will be 335 days (11 months)on April 15, so she is currently at about day 250?(my math skills go down hill the later it gets). She had bloody discharge frozen to her tail today. The vet is unavailable till tomorrow. She is a maiden mare that has had a very uneventful pregnancy up to this point. Still eating and acting normal.

Has anyone ever seen a mare that was discharging blood late in pregnancy that DID NOT loose the foal? Her owner is so worried, and can't get a vet out till tomorrow.
Posted via Mobile Device

CLaPorte432 02-27-2014 10:24 PM

Bloody discharge is very bad. How much discharge is there? What color blood is it? Smelly?

The mucous plug will be rusty/reddish and can be lost up to a week before foaling. But it shouldn't be lost at only 250 days.

Good luck. :-(
Posted via Mobile Device

SlideStop 02-27-2014 10:27 PM

I'd call the vet ASAP.

Dreamcatcher Arabians 02-27-2014 11:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BlueSpark (Post 4857370)
I know mares don't really have a due date. She will be 335 days (11 months)on April 15, so she is currently at about day 250?(my math skills go down hill the later it gets). She had bloody discharge frozen to her tail today. The vet is unavailable till tomorrow. She is a maiden mare that has had a very uneventful pregnancy up to this point. Still eating and acting normal.

Has anyone ever seen a mare that was discharging blood late in pregnancy that DID NOT loose the foal? Her owner is so worried, and can't get a vet out till tomorrow.
Posted via Mobile Device

I understand the owner's concern but if it is the mucus plug and discharge, then she's already aborting and nothing will stop it which is why the vet didn't feel an emergency call was warranted. If she is having a bloody rectal discharge, the vet will palpate and figure out where it's from tomorrow. I'm hoping, she just got a scrape the owner missed and all is well.

KigerQueen 02-28-2014 02:17 AM

update?

BlueSpark 02-28-2014 02:48 PM

she lost it:-(

the pasture she's in is large, and in the areas that haven't been packed down the snow is deep and coyotes in the area are plentiful, so it would be easy for a fetus to go missing.

so sad, its my BO's favorite mare, and the foal was much anticipated.

MangoRoX87 02-28-2014 02:50 PM

Oh wow, I'm so sorry Blue :(

SlideStop 02-28-2014 02:56 PM

Oh man... I'm very sorry to hear that!!
Posted via Mobile Device

Dreamcatcher Arabians 02-28-2014 02:57 PM

Ah that sucks. I'm sorry.

morganarab94 02-28-2014 03:40 PM

I'm sorry that's terrible. :(