The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Trail Riding (http://www.horseforum.com/trail-riding/)
-   -   Your Opinion On Trail Riding Alone? (http://www.horseforum.com/trail-riding/your-opinion-trail-riding-alone-371522/)

Corazon Lock 02-28-2014 03:19 PM

Your Opinion On Trail Riding Alone?

I love to trail ride, but everyone I know is usually either busy or kind of seems like they don't want to trail ride. So...how bad of an idea is it to trail ride alone locally? My horse is a saint, and while I know that really doesn't make it any safer, I feel like it's better than riding a herd sour or spooky horse alone. I'm tired of riding in my pasture and really could use some trail riding time, even if I have to go at it alone.
Posted via Mobile Device

verona1016 02-28-2014 03:25 PM

I primarily trail ride alone. I spent my first several years of riding trails only when I could go with other people, which meant I went maybe twice a year.

This past summer I finally traded in my little coupe for a truck that could pull a trailer and made it out to the trails nearly every week. Sometimes with DH following on foot or mountain bike, but often completely alone. My horse has way more experience trail riding (and riding alone) than I do, and he's generally a very laid back horse to begin with.

I make sure I have my cell on me (not on my horse) and tell DH when I'm going out and how long he should wait before worrying about me :-) And then I go out and enjoy the ride!

Corporal 02-28-2014 03:26 PM

Nope, never alone.

RhondaLynn 02-28-2014 03:33 PM

I would love to ride alone, but have been around enough to be leery of it. There are so many times that I would/could just take off and go ride but no one can go with me... I wish I had the guts to go by myself... but I don't!!! Too scare of the what if's!!!

Rhonda

JulieG 02-28-2014 03:36 PM

I ride alone a lot of the time.

I always have my cell phone on me, I always let someone know which way I'm going and how long I'll be gone, and I have an protective vest that I (in theory) wear on the times I go out alone.

Corazon Lock 02-28-2014 03:36 PM

See, I go down the roads alone by my house all the time. I have three or four friends I can trail ride with, but one lives in a different place now and can only ride when she comes back from school - and she's a very novice rider, so I have to have her ride my horse. My other friend has a very busy schedule and is really pretty spazzy on trail rides. She freaks out going up and down hills or through water. Yikes. Another friend of mine is pregnant and her horse isn't sane enough for her to ride while pregnant. And my other friend lives in another place, has to have me trailer her horse (which I would gladly do), and seems to forget any trail riding plans we make far in advance, something always come up, or she's working. I work a lot too, but it's fairly easy for me to get a day off.

So...I was just thinking it might be easier to ride alone. My horse is truly one of the safest horses out there. He barely spooks, and when he does, he usually just jumps. He's easygoing, moves out nicely alone, and can easily be ridden in any way without a fuss. Love him!

franknbeans 02-28-2014 03:40 PM

I do, as long as I have my cell on me, and someone knows my "flight plan". But I do tend to stay closer to home and don't take any chances for sure. My horses are both great trail horses, and I have learned to trust them, and ay attention to them….if they think something is not right-we go another way. I have had my old guy save my butt a couple of times, and I am glad I listened!

Herosbud 02-28-2014 04:27 PM

Being male I had to think about it in a different perspective. Would I want my wife to ride alone and although I would rather be with her I would say yes. She has ridden alone before without incident. One other thing that enters in to it is that she has a concealed carry permit and is a crack shot! We have a female friend that rides alone a lot but she has a CCW permit as well.
One other thing - Have you ever considered bear spray? I got a can from Outfitters Supply - It comes with a belt holster and I have read in firearms publications from people that live and work in bear country that they prefer the spray over a handgun. If it works on a bear it certainly would work on a "punk".

TessaMay 02-28-2014 05:14 PM

Here are the safety measures I take when I take my very untrustworthy mare out alone:

Cell phone tucked into my half chaps so that it will for sure still be with me if I come off
Ride only on trails with high foot and horse traffic so if I fall off and am knocked out, someone will hopefully come across me or my loose horse and come looking for the rider (high traffic also makes it much less likely for creepers)
Know when I need to get off and lead my horse because she's getting out of my control

NorthernMama 02-28-2014 05:27 PM

I prefer to ride alone. I tell when I'm leaving, I have my cell in my pocket and if I am going somewhere new, I check for cell service periodically. If out of range, I make sure someone knows where I am.

I don't have the patience to ride with other people.