The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Talk (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/)
-   -   Just your opinion..... (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/just-your-opinion-37191/)

tempest 10-01-2009 05:49 PM

Just your opinion.....

I already know what my answer is, but I want to know yours. Now I do NOT want anybody bickering or fighting on this thread. I'm sick of people getting all upset over someone else's opinion. If you don't like what they are saying, don't leave a reply. Anyway.....Here's the question....

Do you think that horses can be mental?

Spastic_Dove 10-01-2009 06:16 PM

Sure, plenty of people can drive a horse insane if that's what you mean.

LeahKathleen 10-01-2009 06:18 PM

Not sure what you mean by "mental" but if you're talking about insanity, then certainly. Horses can lose their minds just like people can.

Kentucky 10-01-2009 06:50 PM

I think some horses are insane, some are just a pain to work with, other are just mean, and some are hard to explain. The cuase of it I don't know. but I don't think there is one cause for all of it, out west the loco weed will make an animal act crazy.

Lonestar22 10-02-2009 12:33 AM

we had a horse who was mean as hell & crazy like. He bit my mommas nipple. Just walked up and bit her on the boob. I dont think anyone ever rode him he was so crazy. the only memories I have of him are him rearing while my dads trying to lunge him.

JustDressageIt 10-02-2009 12:42 AM

Absolutely!!

Cougar 10-02-2009 06:18 AM

Certainly but more often than not it's usually the rider that's driving the horse mental.

kevinshorses 10-02-2009 08:51 AM

Horses are very, very , very rarely mean or insane. They may seem that way to us but mostly they're just doing whats needed for them to survive in thier eyes. If you think your horse is "mental" you probably need some help learning to handle it properly.

perfectpony 10-02-2009 08:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kevinshorses (Post 417526)
Horses are very, very , very rarely mean or insane. They may seem that way to us but mostly they're just doing whats needed for them to survive in thier eyes. If you think your horse is "mental" you probably need some help learning to handle it properly.

this is very true, through previous experience have learnt that there are many different ways to handle each horse, after all thet are not machines x

upnover 10-02-2009 02:29 PM

I think there is generally a combination of "nature vs nurture". Some horses have a personality that is more prone to being driven to the point of insanity by poor handling/training. Every once in a while I'll see a horse where something just isn't right in their brain and all the best training in the world won't fix it.